Thread: troublesome/byers creek bear

Default troublesome/byers creek bear

ok I know this has been visited before but I was thinking of planning a week hunt in August when the grizz season opens back up. Can anyone give me some info on what to expect? Does anyone know if their will be a lot of hikers back their? In addition what do ya all think is the best way to get back to a huntable area? Just wader up and walk down the creek or follow the trails till well enough away and then hunt the creek. Any help any one has would be great.

Thumbs up

Don't wade up and down the creeks. Stay on the highest overlooks you can find. Look at each shallow for awhile. Sometimes they lay out of sight after they hear you and come back out when they think the coast is clear. I would think you will have no problem. Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

There are quite a good number of brown bears in the Byers Creek area as well as some black bears. I have seen brown bears at Byers and was still within earshot of the Parks Hwy. Vegetation is very thick near the creek itself and there is no glassing to speak of. If you plan to move up and down the creek above the hwy bridge you will have to walk in the creek. It is too thick to walk on the bank. I would use felt soled wading boots as the rocks are very slick. There are a fair number of people who use that area so I would expect to see other folks out recreating. There are plenty of bears around Byers, but probably better places to hunt them.

I started to write a post, then saw that Chisana nailed it. I lived and worked on byers for a summer and it is some pretty thick country. Troublesome is a little different animal.... Lots of hikers in there, but in August they will sometimes close the trail down due to bear activity. Still plenty of hardcore hikers still use it though, so keep an eye out for them. As Chisana said, there are no shortage of brownies in the general area.

Oh yea...GOOD LUCK!!!

Default maps

does anyone know where i can get some good maps of the creeks/trails around there?

I would like to thank everyone for the help so far.

With Troublesome, be careful of the rules on discharge of firearms there. Same on Byers. I believe its half a mile from developed rest areas/camp sites, and 1/4 mile from any developed trail. I may be wrong on that, but check the regs! As previously posted, there are a lot of bears in both areas, but there are also a lot of recreational users walking about as well.

willphish makes a good point that I forgot to mention about shooting near the trail, actually I didnt remember that was the case. You can get trail maps of the park I think at the Byers lake campground, but I'd take a good topo along as well. The trails are pretty well developed and hard to get lost except maybe above treeline when its socked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    There are quite a good number of brown bears in the Byers Creek area as well as some black bears. I have seen brown bears at Byers and was still within earshot of the Parks Hwy. Vegetation is very thick near the creek itself and there is no glassing to speak of. If you plan to move up and down the creek above the hwy bridge you will have to walk in the creek. It is too thick to walk on the bank. I would use felt soled wading boots as the rocks are very slick. There are a fair number of people who use that area so I would expect to see other folks out recreating. There are plenty of bears around Byers, but probably better places to hunt them.

Excellent advice there. I have fished Byers in the fall and the canopy that encompasses the creek is super duper thick. I could hear bears walking not far off the creek but no way I could see them at even 10 yards. The alders are plentiful and if you dont walk in the creek to go up and down it, you will be in the alders literally crawling in some spots on your hands and knees in bear tunnels/trails. Cant imagine any way to hunt that creek for bears except for plopping a latch on right on the creek and sitting!