Thread: Hooligans in Seward

Question Hooligans in Seward

Does anyone fish for Hooligans at Resurrection River? I went Monday, and the locals directed me to a place down Nash Road called McDonald's which has $5 access to the delta where Resurrection River forks out and dumps into the bay. The Game & Fish Commission hotline at 267-2515 said the hooligans were running good there, but I didn't see ANY! Anyone know where to find the hooligans in Seward?

That would be the only one I could think of. I wasn't even aware they ran in good enough numbers to worry about. Why not just drive to 20 mile? I think they are in there right now. (went 10 days ago and got 18....so now should be about right)

Still that spot you were told about/went to...............is ROCK solid as a place to catch fish. Reds then silvers go up it and on a high tide you cann get some meat and fish like a fool. I heard last year cruise ships were telling people about it, and it got crowded........but don't fish like a tourist and it's all right (ie. 8am to 5pm.)

Just FYI, I saw a post on AOJ where a guy dipped yesterday at 20 mile and it was slow. He figured a week.

Some years hooligan are plentiful there, others not so good. It's the spot of choice for snaggin reds, which be showing up any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    ...Still that spot you were told about/went to...............is ROCK solid as a place to catch fish. Reds then silvers go up it and on a high tide you cann get some meat and fish like a fool. I heard last year cruise ships were telling people about it, and it got crowded........but don't fish like a tourist and it's all right (ie. 8am to 5pm.)
    Can we discuss this place a little more? I was just about to start a thread asking about the best place to snag in the salt. Years ago I went to Seward, with a friend, and we tore them up at the port, can you still go there? Are the limits the same, in the salt, or what is the deal concerning that? I need some meat this year- reds and silvers. It was fun snagging legally-when I went to Seward. I need a new hole, everything is being over run out here in the Valley.

Well, the spot for reds is at the very head of the bay, off of Nash Road. It is a "new" run that is hatchery enhanced and was just opened to sportfishing about 5 or 6 years ago. They arrive in late May and stick around for about a month. I THINK the limit is six per day, but you better check the regs and not quote me on this.

The silvers arrive much later....August and into September. In my experience, the shore fishing and snagging for silvers has declined over the past several years--nothing like it was 15 years ago. There's just way more pressure on the silvers from the charter fleet than there was back then, and it seems that many more are taken at sea these days with fewer making it into the harbor like in the old days. Still, you can have some decent pulses of them in late August and the old spots like the culvert, the beach, and the small boat harbor can still be productive. Me, I joined the fuel-burners and got a boat and get most of my silvers at Pony...

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    ...the shore fishing and snagging for silvers has declined over the past several years--nothing like it was 15 years ago. There's just way more pressure on the silvers from the charter fleet than there was back then, and it seems that many more are taken at sea these days with fewer making it into the harbor like in the old days. Still, you can have some decent pulses of them in late August and the old spots like the culvert, the beach, and the small boat harbor can still be productive. Me, I joined the fuel-burners and got a boat and get most of my silvers at Pony...
    Thanks- yeah, it was a long time ago, I guess in 90' when I was down in Seward at the port snagging. There goes that bright idea of mine. Yeah, I guess I am going to have to join the fuel burners myself...boats are a money pit though-I guess it is at the point where we gotta break down and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    Well, the spot for reds is at the very head of the bay, off of Nash Road. It is a "new" run that is hatchery enhanced and was just opened to sportfishing about 5 or 6 years ago. They arrive in late May and stick around for about a month. I THINK the limit is six per day, but you better check the regs and not quote me on this.

The silvers arrive much later....August and into September. In my experience, the shore fishing and snagging for silvers has declined over the past several years--nothing like it was 15 years ago. There's just way more pressure on the silvers from the charter fleet than there was back then, and it seems that many more are taken at sea these days with fewer making it into the harbor like in the old days. Still, you can have some decent pulses of them in late August and the old spots like the culvert, the beach, and the small boat harbor can still be productive. Me, I joined the fuel-burners and got a boat and get most of my silvers at Pony...
    They were catching reds out at mcdonalds yesterday. You can only fish below the markers in the salt water for now. I believe that 6 is the limit if caught in the ocean.
    We saw some folks pull in some nice big ones at the culvert this evening.

Mcdonalds is easy to find, just go down nash road and there is a sign for Mt Alice Harbor. It costs $5/person right now, we are trying to get them to offer a seasonal rate!

Default Hooligan fishing in Seward

I am looking for a place to hooligan fish in Seward. I was told to go the the nash/mcdonalds location which I did. Felt somewhat embarrased fishing for hooligan when all around me were fishing for Salmon. However, has anyone ever caught hooligan in seward? Or was that just a bust?

Default MacDonald's in Seward

Quote Originally Posted by muffin99504 View Post
    I am looking for a place to hooligan fish in Seward. I was told to go the the nash/mcdonalds location which I did. Felt somewhat embarrased fishing for hooligan when all around me were fishing for Salmon. However, has anyone ever caught hooligan in seward? Or was that just a bust?
    I went Memorial day looking for Hooligans, and it was a bust for me. But I did go at low tide. As the tide was coming in, the Red Salmon fishermen were showing up, and the one I spoke to had good success the prevous day getting 6.

I got about 30 quarts of hooligans at 20 mile creek on the beach downstream of the bridge in about an hour, Saturday night/Sunday morning.