Thread: Yamaha Kicker motor won't start

Default Yamaha Kicker motor won't start

I put a Yamaha 15 hp on my boat, hooked up the cables and gas line. It fired right up in the drive way with water muffs. Drove down to Seward and it would not start. The power tilt works, but nothing happens when I push the start button. The lanyard is attached to the kill button and the fuse is good. The shift lever is in neutral. This is a like new motor. There has to be some simple thing that I am overlooking--help please. Thanks
    NRA Lifetime Member

Check the connections on the inside for the kill switch...had mine rattle off once so I pinched `em with pliers and now won`t budge. Check for inline fuse and also make sure the battery selector switch will operate the kicker in either position. If all else fails tap the starter while someone bumps the start switch. Also make sure that you cycle the kill switch to make sure it`s not in a nuetral position...this happened with my big motor and played hell finding the problem until someone suggested flipping it up and down once. Another thought, pull a plug and make sure the cylinders aren`t full of fuel...the starter won`t turn on a semi-hydrolocked motor.

Thanks for the info, AK2AZ. I am headed home from work eagerly anticipating the solution.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default You're saying...

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    I put a Yamaha 15 hp on my boat, hooked up the cables and gas line. It fired right up in the drive way with water muffs. Drove down to Seward and it would not start. The power tilt works, but nothing happens when I push the start button. The lanyard is attached to the kill button and the fuse is good. The shift lever is in neutral. This is a like new motor. There has to be some simple thing that I am overlooking--help please. Thanks
    ... that this is an electric start motor? That when you push a button it won't turn over? If so, does it start with the rope? Check the connections on the starter motor. Does the "bendix" engage? does it even click?

But...

If you are not saying it has electric start, then it sounds like you do not have spark. Have you tried looking for a spark when you turn it over with the rope starter with a plug out but connected and grounded?

Check, check, and re-check, the battery connections! I had a wing nut slightly losen once and it was like it wasn't even connected.

Thank you all, I checked and rechecked. Connections were tight, I even hooked up jumper cables to double up, still no hint of current when I pushed the starter button. Check, recheck. I figured it had to be something simple, rechecked the fuse, intending to do continuity check on it, this time I was wearing 2.5x glasses and saw the blown fuse right away. It is a real curse sometimes, these aging eyes cant see up close without help. Replaced the fuse and --wala--fired right up. Thank you for the help. I have learned much and continue to learn from the experience of the forum members. You are good people, thanks again. Ken
    NRA Lifetime Member

Might want to examine all the wiring pretty closely to determine what fried the fuse.
    Tennessee

Go to Costco and stock up on reading glasses.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"