Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak

Default Kodiak

Hey guys, new to these forums. unfortunately im away from the hunting by being deployed in afghanistan. but im gonna try and plan a trip with a buddy to kodiak when we get back in 2010. leanin towards the resident tag. i know about the ferries and flights goin in, but was wonderin what might be the cheapest way to get to the island from anchorage. havent decided where on the island we wanna focus on yet. any tips or advice from past kodiak trips would be well appreciated. anything you wish you did, or didnt do, or something that worked. so far we're just gonna spot and stalk. should we stick to beaches or climb high and look down? like i said any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

-Andy

What are you planning on hunting?

right, forgot that part. nothing less than the legendary kodiak bear. which also makes me wonder, i never hear anything about brown bear meat...is it just not nearly as good as blackie's?

Your gonna have to draw a tag for Brownies on Kodiak, unless you hunt the road system which is a very very small piece of the island. And those draw tags arent easy to get, check out the draw stats on ADF&G in the spring supplement..

Quote Originally Posted by CREWMAN View Post
    i never hear anything about brown bear meat...is it just not nearly as good as blackie's?
    I have eaten some spring kodiak brown bear meat, sausage & burger. It tasted fine to me. I have eaten some fall black bear meat from south central and as far as I can remember it tasted about the same. Not saying that for all bears though. I am sure you can get some that are good and some that are bad, bout like anything else.
    -Caleb-

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Your gonna have to draw a tag for Brownies on Kodiak, unless you hunt the road system which is a very very small piece of the island. And those draw tags arent easy to get, check out the draw stats on ADF&G in the spring supplement..
    yeah i was talkin about the RB260, but now that i typed that into the search bar for the ADF&G site, it IS a tiny part of the island. also looked at the spring supplement. guess they give out a good number for afognak island, but theres also alot of private property? next biggest number for permits are the two adjacent areas next to the RB260 area. would these places be too crowded to ensure an enjoyable hunt if i were to apply for those? id be more than happy if i could even see a grizz while on kodiak island. i've heard so many stories of the place, and im very eager for some of my own. but of course dreams often meet harsh obstacles of reality. one thing i didnt understand is the deadline for all permits. it said for residents all permits are deadlined may31. so does that mean i have to apply in the next three days for next years spring season?

I know quite a few folks who have taken bears on the road system. I would say it is doable but the natives have been restless the last year closing their lands to whities. If you are native though, they will let you hunt on their land.

Default larson bay hunt

I hunted Larson BAY a few years ago and found it to be a good place to hunt. There are no services there so bring everything. You can get water in the village and the people are some of the nicest folks I've ever met. You can get flown into there airport and dropped or along the bay. Also I think Andrew Air rents Zodiac's and motors so you can float the bay and glass the mountain sides. Good luck , Tom

thanks for the motivation! but again, are spring hunt draws put in for the year before in may? or is there another draw later on for spring hunts? im kinda thinkin i shoulda put in for it already. maybe 2011 then huh?

and algonquin, how many times did it take for you to draw that permit?

You can put in for spring or fall hunts, for residents they are all on the left side of the page and yes, the dealine is 31 May for everyone that wants to apply. Also keep in mind that if you should draw, you will have a 15 day window to hunt so choose your dates carefully should you draw. As far as Afognak goes, most of that island is native owned and very expensive to hunt, last I checked it was $1200 to hunt brown bear on their land.

yeah i pretty much found that out too, kinda sucks ill have to buy a license online just to be able to put in for the draw. wont even be able to make use of the license as im not in alaska! oh well, just a few bucks for a shot at a hunt of a lifetime! ill just have to cross my fingers extra tight for puttin in so late

I'm a little confused. What do you mean "leaning towards a resident tag"? Military personnel can get a nonresident military license and tags at the resident rate. You must still wait a year to hunt with out a guide. So you are stationed here?
    If you are stationed here and were here for a year before you deployed, no problem. Its an interesting question that I have not seen answered, that is you have were not here for 12 months prior to deploying for a year, and then gone a year, does that still satisfy the 12 month requirement?
    2009 Kodiak fall and 2010 Kodiak spring resident hunts are in this spring's drawing. You have three more days to apply on line. All the drawings are going to the winter draw period starting in December 2009.

yeah i said that when i was still under the naive impression that you could just "buy" a tag. i got up to alaska october of 06 so im good with that. but yeah i wondered the same thing, if a soldier is only physically in alaska for say 6 months but then deployed for a year...are they a resident when he/she gets back? me ive had two physical years in alaska, and when i come back two physical years deployed, so i got my bases covered. but yes, im applying actually right now

Good luck with the draw. Keep your head down over there and come back safe.
    Last time I hunted Kodiak we shipped all our gear via air cargo and then flew over Alask Air. ERA also flies there and the price is about the same, we just opted for the 737 instead of the turpo prop. Shipping gear back, on the backhaul, is a lot cheaper than getting it there. When we compared ferry prices, it was cheaper to ship air freight and then fly. Sea Hawk air is an excellent air service over there if you go that route.

Default Regs

I dont know if I am reading the regs correctly or not, maybe someone on here can help out. "From Jan 1-May31, in units 1-7, 11-17, and 20, the hide, skull, and MEAT must be salvaged and removed from the field; From June 1-Dec 31, the hide and skull must be salvaged and removed from the field." This is on page 26 of the regs regarding ALL BEAR HUNTERS. From the way I read this, you must salvage the meat from spring brown or grizz bears in most units of the state.
    -Caleb-

Kodiak is Unit 8 no salvage required.

You are not reading the regs correctly. Page 26-27 of this years regs book. The salvage requirments for a grizzly/brown bears "You must Salvage the entire hide (including claws attached) and skull of a brown/grizzly bear unless it was taken in (and not removed) one of the substitance hunt areas under a subsistence permit." On page 20 it states, "You must salvage all the meat of moose, caribou, sheep, mountain goat, wild reindeer, deer, elk, bison, muskox, spring black bear and small game birds for which a seasona nd bag limit exist." PAge 27 "Except in the Brown Bear Susbsistance Areas, you are not required to keep the meat of a brown/grizzly bear"

I'm sure Jake knows a lot more about it then I do but unless its a subsistence permit, salvaging the meat from a browm/grizzly is not required.

I have an old Alaska cook book that does not have a black bear recipe in it but does have several grizzly recipes.

Default Not reading the regs thoroughly

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    You are not reading the regs correctly. Page 26-27 of this years regs book. The salvage requirments for a grizzly/brown bears "You must Salvage the entire hide (including claws attached) and skull of a brown/grizzly bear unless it was taken in (and not removed) one of the substitance hunt areas under a subsistence permit." On page 20 it states, "You must salvage all the meat of moose, caribou, sheep, mountain goat, wild reindeer, deer, elk, bison, muskox, spring black bear and small game birds for which a seasona nd bag limit exist." PAge 27 "Except in the Brown Bear Susbsistance Areas, you are not required to keep the meat of a brown/grizzly bear"

I'm sure Jake knows a lot more about it then I do but unless its a subsistence permit, salvaging the meat from a browm/grizzly is not required.

I have an old Alaska cook book that does not have a black bear recipe in it but does have several grizzly recipes.
    Thanks for the clarification, I was just reading the salvage and evidence of sex portion, third paragraph down and it does not specify what type of bear.
    -Caleb-

well off it goes, just submimtted my draws. we'll see what happens i guess. still gonna plan for it though, dont wanna rush the plans if i do make the draw. two othe questions. if i make the draw, is my buddy allowed to bring another rifle, for a follow up shot right after mine? even though the permit would be mine?

also, havent really been actively lookin, but been keepin an eyeout for an alaskan game cookbook for the wife. still gotta get her used to the fact that its all meat, its all good. she said i can eat it, but shell stick with beef pork and chicken. but i think i can convince her otherwise

There's no reason why your friend can't bring a rifle along, it's perfectly legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast