Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relatively inexpensive fly rod with lifetime warranty for Ross Momentum?

Default Relatively inexpensive fly rod with lifetime warranty for Ross Momentum?

Well, one or more of you talked me into purchasing the $225 7-9 Ross Momentum from Cabelas. I was considering a Redington or an Orvis Battenkill, because of the price range, until I found out both are made in China and/or Korea.

As the title of this thread suggests, I am now hoping you folks can tell me what my choices are for a relatively inexpensive fly rod with a lifetime warranty that would go well with the Ross Momentum. I appreciate any and all responses.

Chad

I've never tried one, but I hear Redinton are good. How much are you looking to spend?

Rods are such a feel thing, I really suggest casting the one you would like to buy before buying it, if possible.

There are numerous options depending on how much you would like to spend. I love all the Sage rods that I've tried, Launch ($200), FLi($300), and DSII (discontinued but you can find them for about $100 sometimes with a warranty card too). Sage would be my #1 recommendation, they ask no questions when you return your rod. I broke a tip falling down a hill, had my rod back in a couple of weeks (at the height of summer returns).

I've had great luck with Albright Tackle stuff. They make some pretty cheap priced gear that so far has held up well.

I've heard very bad things about Redington rods and them breaking, sometimes just plain shattering. This was before Sage bought them, so maybe things have changed, I'm not sure.

TFO, another solid company that stands behind their products. I do not know how they cast though, everyone I've spoken with that owns one, likes it a lot and likes the company even more.

Those are some of the lower priced rods I can think of that might work for you. Hope that helps.

Default Thanks to both of you!

I am hoping to find a quality fly rod with a lifetime warranty for under $200, though I would probably consider something that cost more if I would be gaining a considerable amount in durability and functionality.

Thanks again,
    Chad

St. Croix makes a decent rod on US soil with lifetime warranties.

Relatively inexpensive-I would go with Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Rod. Or maybe your local fly shop has the discontinued Sage Fli Rod in stock, actually I know a place that has one here:

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Again, thanks for the responses...

I have considered some of what has been suggested including St. Croix, Temple Fork Outfitters, and Fenwick (which wasn't mentioned). Are there any other manufacturers of quality fly rods with lifetime warranties in the same price range? Which would serve me best among the three previously mentioned as well as any others folks come up with in the same price range?

Chad

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

All of their rods are now listed under $200 have a look around, the XX and A-5 rods are supposed to be top notch, you can get a $350 rod for 50% off here:
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...-products.html

They offer a different kind of warranty...
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/warranty-information

Here's an article comparing the Albright A-5 to some other high end rods:
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...rodtesting.asp
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...sNativeRun.asp

Hope that helps.

Personal preference...I would never buy a st croix fly rod, they make sweet spin gear, but their fly rods I never liked. If I was picking only from the three you list, I would go with TFO.

I have (2) 4 peice st croix rods that I am happy with. You can find their reign line, discontinued, on sale for $75-100. Or you can step up to their next line for about twice that.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

http://templeforkflyrods.com/index.html

TFO rods have a cult like following down here. I don't own one but I have cast them and they are impressive. Lifetime warranty with a great rep for customer service. I'm buying a 2wt 7' from them for my next rod. And thats comming from a diehard Sage fan, I own 5 including a 5wt z-axis and have owned two others I have sold.

Also speaking of used I have a ds2 2pc 8wt im selling if your interested.

Kevin

Default ds2?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a ds2?

Thanks,
    Chad

Default # of flly rod pieces?

GAboy's reply made me think of a follow-up question I had. Is a two piece fly rod generally preferable to multi-piece rods if traveling is not an issue?

Chad

W.W. Grigg has rods with lifetime warranties for under $200. I've had 3 with no complaints. Company is based in Washington and rods are made in Korea.

Some St. Croix rods are U.S. Made and some are not. Expect to pay over $200 for a U.S. made St. Croix. I really like their Avid series of rods.

TFO rods are nice, but I had one that broke twice. $25 each time for handling fee adn the rod got expensive quick. I have one now, but its made for saltwater and seems to be a little better built.

Lamiglas makes some nice rods as well. Some are U.S. made and will be right at $200.

Wright and McGill (not sure where they are made, but probably China) makes some nice rods. Great warranty because it is over the counter. I've seen them for right at $200, but generally they will be $250 to $275.

The best two rods I've seen and tried that are classified as "cheap"? One is a Penn and the other is an Ugly Stick. They belong to two of the best fly fisherman I know. I can't wait to reunite the three of us in July! I'll have an expensive rod or two, but I expect my primary rod on that trip to be a Sage FLi series. I stopped looking at price tags and started buying what I like!

There are lots of options on rods of course. One general comment, you have a heck of a reel. If you can swing it, try to put a nice rod under it. And I would definitely suggest a 4 piece rod. In years past, the two piece had better performance and feel, but with technology advancements in ferrule design, I think this has been negated in recent years. I would never buy a two piece rod. At some point, you will be flying with this thing. Trust me on this. Four piece rods are my choice hands down. Rod choice is a very subjective thing and I can appreciate why you are having a hard time deciding on which one to buy. We have all been there man. My absolute favorite rods are Scotts. I will list a few others below that will give some ideas. If I am not mistaken, all have lifetime warranties. I own all these and they are high quality rods. I like some better than others of course, but all are good rods and worthy of putting under that bad azz reel you bought. A side note, consider getting a second reel (or extra spool) while this model is still available. That will allow you to have a sink tip on one and a floating line on the second. These reels may very well last forever. Having a second spool or reel will be a worthwhile investment in my opinion. I usually get a second reel as the cost of the spool is so much. And in doing so, if I have a reel fail, I have a spare reel, rather than two spools and one broke reel. The more remote the trip, the more this matters. Just something to consider.

General thoughts on some rods...

$150 range, Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional. Big bang for the buck. There are better casting rods out there, but you will pay for the difference. Great customer service and the reputation of TFO is a very good one.

$250 range, Scott A2. This is a "bang for the buck" Scott rod. Very nice rod, but not as fast as the E2, S3, S3s, (all $400-600 rods). This is just an all around wonderful rod. High performance, moderate price (for Scotts), and lifetime warranty from one of the very best in the business.

$350 range, St Croix Legend Ultra. One of my favorite rods, irregardless of price. Just a great casting rod. Perfect I would call it. Not too fast, but plenty of backbone. Lifetime warranty from St Croix. Great company. Great rod.

$450 + range, Scott S4 or X2S and Sage Xi2. You pay for these higher end rods, but I would be lying if I told you they were not the best rods available. There is a difference, but there is quite a premium to pay. Don't cast one unless you are willing to drop some dough on it. Like dating a super model. Everything after that would just be "OK".

In the end of the day, they are just rods man. So many choices. Some will cast better. Some will have a higher quality fit/finish. Some will be less likely to break. Much like a car. All will get you from point A to point B. If you buy a rod with a lifetime warranty, you are a step ahead of the game in my opinion. Lots of good choices out there and all will catch fish.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Let me know what you think about the choices I have settled on...

So, I have narrowed down my choices to the several fly rods listed below that are offered by Cabelas. I have included the Cabelas prices as well as the manufacturing countries, though I am not sure of some of them. I would appreciate it if you folks would chime in on your experiences and/or knowledge regarding the choices below. Let me know what you would definitely consider or what you would definitely reject (if any). As always, thanks for the replies.

SAGE, ST. CROIX, AND FENWICK FLY RODS
    Sage Launch Fly Rod (@$225-$250, manufacturing country unknown)
    St. Croix Avid Fly Rod (@$250-$280, made in U.S.)
    St. Croix Imperial Fly Rod (@$170-$190, made in North America--likely Mexico)
    Fenwick HMG Graphite Fly Rod (@$180, manufacturing country unknown)

TEMPLE FORK OUTFITTERS FLY RODS
    TFO Lefty Kreh Series One Fly Rod (@$120, made in Korea)
    TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod (@$160, made in Korea)
    TFO Jim Teeny Fly Rod (@$200, made in Korea)
    TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Fly Rod (@$210, made in Korea)
    TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr X Fly Rod (@$250, made in Korea)
    TFO Axiom RLS Fly Rod (@$275, made in Korea)

The only one of those that I've used much is Sage Launch. I have a 4wt and it is my go to, all around, rod. It has enough backbone to handle 4x tippet and 4lb+ wild brown trout that will run you to your backing in 30 seconds. I have casted double streamer/wooly bugger rigs, double nymph rigs with split shot and a strike indicator...I really love that rod. It is light and I have no problem presenting size #20 dry flies to the pickiest of fish. I can cast it all day and never get tired. They replaced the tip once, no hassles at all. I can't say enough about my Launch rod, as long as you can cast it and like the action, IMO you can't go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    [

St. Croix Avid Fly Rod (@$250-$280, made in U.S.)

TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod (@$160, made in Korea)

)

The St Croix Legend Ultra is only a few more dollars than the Avid. Fantastic rod. The TFO rod up top I have and it is a great value at $160. Both of these rods will have a great warranty. But to me, the St Croix is a much higher quality (and better casting) rod. But at $330-350, it should be. Others you listed could be good as well. I can only speak of the ones I own. With the reel you bought, if you could swing it, the St Croix Legend Ultra would make for a fantastic set up. Really no bad options between these two, but the St Croix is a better rod.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a ds2?

Thanks,
    Chad
    Not your ignorance its my age. The DS2 is an older entry level Sage rod. I bought it new for 220.00.

I'm selling the rod because its 2 piece. I can't tell the difference casting 2, 3, or 4pc rods but a 4pc is much easier to take on an airplane. Since I've started to travel much more I replaced it with a 4pc Sage FLI.

Kevin

Default rods

Don't forget about Powell. They normally run about $250-$300, but you should be able to find a deal on one. I found one recently on Sierra Trading Post for about $160. They've got a lifetime warranty, but I don't know how they are to deal with as it hasn't been broken. All I know is that I can cast better with it than I can with rods in the same price range, including St. Croix, Orvis and Sage. I've returned a St. Croix rod (loose reel seat after years of use) and a couple Orvis rods (one snapped via running salmon through my feet and the other under a friend's foot) before under warranty and both companies were a pleasure to work with, sending me a brand new rod in under 2 weeks each time. I also own a Scott and will never buy another rod from them. The rod has broken twice (once for no apparent reason on a fish and another time by a relative) and each time it took about 3 months to get my rod back repaired. To their credit they did send me a loaner the second time, but it was a hassle. They do cast pretty well and sure look nice though. If you're primary objective is to do the Kenai flip for reds, then I'd go with a 2 piece. Otherwise, go with the 4 piece which will be much better for travel. A rod that is salt water compatible is also nice, should you decide to fish bones or something else where it's warmer. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast