Thread: End of Homer Spit surf fishing?

Default End of Homer Spit surf fishing?

does anyone know if its picking up at all for cod/ sole and flounder?

^ Fail ^

I tried my luck off the end of the spit for fun for a few hours this past weekend. It was simply not worth it, not for lack of fish but for the additude of the crowd. I waited 1 and a half hours to get a nice spot where fish were being pulled out frequently directly infront of the pilings offshore, after this within 5 minutes I had two people fishing within 1-2 ft of me. One of these was a large semoian man with his constantly cussing and inexperienced girlfriend who kept casting over me and another was a rude oriental gentleman and his wife, who also casted over my line numerous times. The orientals were on the beach loading up coolers of cod and flounder then transporting them back to their trucks, emptying them, and returning for another round. I saw them constantly there for 2 days, cant even imagine how many fish they pulled out, being they were catching them every 20-30 seconds or less at high and low tides. They spoke very little english and seemed to not give a rats you know what about anyone else. Stealing spots and casting over lines with frequent glares were the normal, I had to leave before I lost my temper.

Overall the fishing was fun, but the crowd was terrible and lacked any respect whatsoever.

It was one of the first times I have not wanted to fish, simply because of the stress and anger involved.

If you get down there, good luck, but watch out for the jerks.

-Nick

thanks for the headsup...ill be sure to cut some lines.... especially if they behave that way around my young kids!

Thinking my surf fishing adventures are going to happen mid week to avoid most of the numb skulls.

Either that or I will stick to not so popular areas.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

IF you can cast a loooong ways, go further out toward the end of the spit, but pretty much still casting up towards the head of the Bay, and you will probably avoid most of the rif-raf AND stand a chance at a halibut...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Ah, the new phenomenon:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    I tried my luck off the end of the spit for fun for a few hours this past weekend. It was simply not worth it, not for lack of fish but for the additude of the crowd. I waited 1 and a half hours to get a nice spot where fish were being pulled out frequently directly infront of the pilings offshore, after this within 5 minutes I had two people fishing within 1-2 ft of me. One of these was a large semoian man with his constantly cussing and inexperienced girlfriend who kept casting over me and another was a rude oriental gentleman and his wife, who also casted over my line numerous times. The orientals were on the beach loading up coolers of cod and flounder then transporting them back to their trucks, emptying them, and returning for another round. I saw them constantly there for 2 days, cant even imagine how many fish they pulled out, being they were catching them every 20-30 seconds or less at high and low tides. They spoke very little english and seemed to not give a rats you know what about anyone else. Stealing spots and casting over lines with frequent glares were the normal, I had to leave before I lost my temper.

Overall the fishing was fun, but the crowd was terrible and lacked any respect whatsoever.

It was one of the first times I have not wanted to fish, simply because of the stress and anger involved.

-Nick
    No manners, no English, no limits. Pretty disturbing trend, but every once in a while, one of them will get busted, like the guy with the hundreds of kokanee he had caught through the ice last winter.

I fished down there a lot last year. I'd use clam snoot scraps for bait till I caught a flounder then just cut strips of flounder to use for bait.

The pollock down there have worms in them. Unless you like worms, I'd just toss them back. I also understand that the flounder are a whole lot better to eat if you gut them right away. The enzymes in the stomach start to break things down and the meat can get mushy.

Sometimes it is a circus down there. You should be able to find a spot away from the crowd and still catch fish.

There is a guy with a surf pole that will target halibut down there. He effortlessly tosses his bait out quite a bit from the shore. He makes it look easy. Nobody else casting even half of what he covers.

I don't think there is a limit on the flounder down there, thus you will see people trying to catch a limit of limitless fish. The discharge pipe from the fish factory keeps all the fish and birds down there well fed.

Default maybe it was time for a phonecall to Enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post

-Nick
    Just my two cents worth but if you really noticed something so illegal, shouldn't you have had to notify the authorities? Our resource is precious and to have such a glaring infraction not go reported seems like a sin too.There is always a fine line having to make a call like that, not wanting to be your brothers keeper and all. But... Sometimes we have to make a judgement call and do the right thing.

Kind of hard to report somone for overfishing when there is no bag or posession limit for the fish they were keeping.

Default No limit

There is no limit on Flounder, Butter sole, Grey cod or most of the other fish these people are catching . You can keep all you can catch.
    There are limits on Halibut ,Dolly varden , and Salmon.
    I've seen this myself several times down there. Nowadays I just use my boat to get away from this kind of thing. But it was a lot of fun when we used to do it. Still have my surfcast rod may have to break it out one of these days.

im gonna try and get my 14 foot boat with my 25 horse in there did it last year and it wasnt too bad, just gotta watch out for the big wakes from the other boats. maybe ill zip off the end of the spit about a mile and see what i can do for halibut

Went last Saturday. Got a few flounder and some cod and it really didn't take any time. Was casting a distance equal to or beyond those structures out there.

I didn't experience the jerks others are talking about.

People say the cod is full of worms, so I gave mine away.

Per my earlier post on this, I thought the flounder smelled awful.