Thread: Mono or Braid for Surf Fishing?

Default Mono or Braid for Surf Fishing?

Getting a rig set up for surf fishing and have a nice beefy reel I scored at a yard sale and an old 8.5 foot salmon rod for starters. Will go for a longer rod if I find that I like it.

Question is this: What is best for surf fishing, mono or braid?

Seems briad would be the way to go as I could get lots more on the reel with the added strength to boot, but mono is all I have ever used and am comfortable with it.

What would you experienced surf casters recommend?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Braid seems to cast better and you can run a much more sensible test. Throw on 60-100lb test and you're good to go.

It'll cut the crap out of your hands and fingers though. If you're using a spinning rod, you'll have to be pretty careful on the power cast or you'll cut finger. In fact, I'd almost be willing to say it'll happen eventually.

Also, if you're running the heavier test, you'll need to wrap your line around something (a stick or rock) to break it off. I swear I have found 100 yards of braid since April because people don't know how to break it off and apparently just cut their line at the reel. Wrap it around the stick, pull on the stick, there you go.

More personal preference: if you go with braid, try running a mono leader. It'll give you some stretch in the line for hook sets. Attach with a swivel.

One thing you'll want to look for if you want to use a spinner with braid is casting cannon...kind of a trigger that attaches to your rod. You hold it with your index finger (it holds the line) and release it as you cast. Works slick once you get the hang of it, and zero chances of hacking your finger. Which WILL happen otherwise, as stated above. I don't recall where i got mine, but if I remember correctly the manufacturer was breakaway tackle or something like that.

If you use braid and no leader, DO NOT use the clinch knot to tie your lure to the line, it will slip. You must use a Polymar knot, you can look it up on youtube, it's very simple. If I remember correctly knot wars demonstrated the polymar know is a lot stronger than the clinch or improved clinch knots. I actually use it often even with mono line.

For joining a leader to the braid, use a Uni join. Very simple, very effective, and slides through the eyelets easy.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....