Thread: Sport pilot suggetions?

Default Sport pilot suggetions?

I am looking into learning to fly and go the Sport Pilot route, and maybe the full pilot route if talked into it.

Also, what aircraft would you all suggest, for someone who wants a tail dragger, but maybe can't afford a Cub to start with.
    I would be looking at Tanana river bar landings, cruising the flats, checking out the hills around Fairbanks, Minto Flats, down the Tanana, etc...

I have been around small planes for 20+ years here in Alaska, and been flown in on sheep hunts several times my self.
    Don't think I will be going sheep hunting any time soon with my own plane as I will leave that to the pro's, but would like to get in the air and work my way towards to outer areas around Fairbanks.

I know there will be a lot of opinions on this, and I am ready to hear them all.

Thanks in advance.

j3 or t-craft are good ones.
    j3 is the original cub.

Default private pilot

Just bite the bullet and go for the regular private pilot's certificate. It is not much harder, and you can still fly lighter planes and ultralights. But while you are in learning mode you should just get it done. That way you will be ready if you fall into a great deal or have a chance to go into a partnership on a heavier plane. You won't have the sport pilot restrictions to hold you back, and you won't have to go back to school to be a "real" pilot....
    I am in the process of getting my private license right now. I may get more training after, but I could also go the rest of my life without more school.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

You may not be able to get a Super Cub right now, but if you don't get your PPL you wont ever be able to get one. So if you think you might want to fly something with more than 100hp then I would say go all the way. If not, then Sport Pilot might be the way to go for you.

What made you think sport pilot in the first place?

I would discourage you from getting the sport pilot license. The amount of additional hours to get the private is minimal, and the most enjoyable. Like logging the cross country, or night flying that is if we were in the lower 48.

I believe the sport license was created for those poor souls that have lost there medical, but still want to fly.

As with all others here. Go PPL. You are severly restricted with the Sport pilot. When the EAA came up with this years ago and AOPA it was meant to get regular folks into flying with the assumption they would pursue further activities. Just think, you can now get that C-180/185 Skywagon or whatever and be legal..

Cheers
    Stephen

I have a LSA Legend Cub and fly it on a PPL. I agree that the little extra effort to earn a PPL is worth it. The aircraft LSA Cub is a lot of fun and you still have the option to fly other non LSA aircraft. The only reason I can see for having the Sport license is if you cannot hold a regular medical.

Default PPL sounds like the way to go...

Many years ago I checked into all of this, only there was no such thing as a Sport Pilot license.
    I have a Coast Guard Captains License, and needed a full Medical on that, I assume flight physicals are about the same?

What are people saying about the Cub kits by Cub Crafters?
    Or pick up a used Cub...?

For easy, low, slow, flying and just pure fun, the Avid or Kitfox is hard to beat. You can get into a model IV or later with a 912 engine for about 25,000-30,000. I have had more fun flying my Avid and my brothers kitfox, than any other plane I can remember. They are not a "cub" but I would not beat my own plane the way I would a cub for hire.

cant get a sport license if a medical has been denied

Default Are Kitfoxes still made?

Are Kit Foxes, or something similar, still made?
    Get a good used Kit Fox over a good used J-3?
    What model of Kit Fox would be the best for Alaska?

I am assuing you are going to want to get in short and get out quick. Look for a model IV with a 912. Great STOL and still cruise around 100 to 110 depending on tires size etc. The later models with heavier engines like the 0200 etc, still fly great, but are heavier and dont get out as short.

My Avid HH has a 600# usefull load with a rotax 582. She is a bit sluggish at full gross, but solo loaded with camping gear and 36 gallons of gas she performs GREAT.