Thread: Without trying to sound desperate...

Default Without trying to sound desperate...

I'm in the military, and I recently got a relatively short notice tasking to Al Udeid in early July, and I'll be deployed for six months. Essentially long enough to miss every big game season in Alaska.

I don't like asking for any sort of help, but I'm not convinced I'll be able to take a spring blackie this year without some direction. I've got a bait station, and have had one for a few weeks, but thus far no dice. So unless I get a hit, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to try my hand at spot and stalk, but there's a catch. I need to be able to take my wife with me so she can see me before I leave as well.

Normally no big deal, but she's all of 85 pounds and not very athletic. So unless we stop every five minutes for her to rest, I need to be able to reach a spot with my truck, or ATV.

All that being said I'd appreciate any advice, direction, or otherwise friendly words of encouragement. I'm not asking for GPS coordinates to your honey hole, just a "Hey I saw one over there once" kind of thing.

Thanks in advance...

i hear alot about the seward highway spot and stalk. as far as road hunting or even with a wheeler, its going to be hit or miss in my opinion. i've found that i've had to get off the trails and hike in to be successful no matter what hunting i'm doing. i dont know when the season ends, but we did pretty well last year out of whittier. if you had a boat, that might be a fun trip for you and the wife. go to the outdoor rec center on fort rich and look into renting one if you don't already own one. just some things to look into. good luck.

Thanks hoghunter... unfortunately I'm very limited on time... no leave, and only a couple of weekends left, else I would take a boat trip. Still thumbing through the reg books, and local maps.

Does anybody have any input on the atv trails near bird creek?

You might try the beaches north of Nikiski on your 4 wheeler. It may be a little late in the spring, but you never know.

Brett

Default PWS

Go to the MWR on base and rent a boat for a few days, drive to whittier, launch the boat and go out their and spot a bear. My daughter weights 78 lbs and is 14, she even managed to keep up with me and take a nice bear herself this past weekend. I dont think anyone is going to serve you a bear on a platter or tie one to a tree so to speak, Theirs lots of bears out their.. If your patient you wont have to climb for one, and with luck, you will locate a bunch to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by lowxposure View Post
    Thanks hoghunter... unfortunately I'm very limited on time... no leave, and only a couple of weekends left, else I would take a boat trip. Still thumbing through the reg books, and local maps.

Does anybody have any input on the atv trails near bird creek?
    Check for PM.
    EricL

Hey I appreciate it, I know these "where to go" posts get old. I've done my leg work for my bait stand, but other than that, I don't know where to go.

Thanks for the replies.