Thread: Black Bear vs. 270 Gr. TSX

Default Black Bear vs. 270 Gr. TSX

I figured I'd give you guys a little good news about the loads I recently worked up for my 375 Ruger African.

I found superb accuracy with the rifle using a 270 grain TSX on top of 74-74.5 grain of RL 15. I settled on 74.5 grains of RL 15 with 5 shot groups averaging .68". I have the rifle sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards leaving it dead zero at 240 yards.

I was hunting the coast from Valdez spotting and stalking bears from the boat. We had originally planned to stay on the water for 10 days or until the party limited on black bears. Anyway, we ended up coming home early. Our party ended up killing 7 bears for 7 hunters in 7 days.

I was holding out for a really big bear this year, and on what ended up our last day of hunting we spotted what I thought to be a really nice blackie across the bay. We jumped in the small boat and headed ashore for a better look. After getting a good look at him I was definitely sure he was a shooter. He was a huge bear and was without a doubt one that would make a great rug.

We ended up sneaking to 240 yards of the great beast and I rested the rifle on a log just waiting for him to turn broadside. Once he turned broadside I squeezed the trigger and let her roar. Slam! Bear down in his tracks! I hit him with a high shoulder shot through the scapula. The bullet entered the hide with a .375 diameter hole, then it expanded immediately leaving a 2" diameter hole through his scapula. The bullet drove bone fragments through his vitals and came to rest in the off shoulder on the opposite side of his body. The bullet didn't pass thru his hide which to me was a bonus for a bear of this quality. (He was a thick sucker!)

To me this is absolutely ideal! My beautiful bear hide has one bullet hole and a perfect hide filled with guard hairs and beautiful blackness. What more can you ask for? The situation played out perfectly. I couldn't have scripted it any better.

The hide ended up measuring 7'2" nose to tail with a 19 3/4" skull. He was truly one of the most beautiful black bears I've ever seen!

Well done sir! Great story and a fine looking bear...thanks for sharing the bullet/load performance information with us.

Great story, great pics and great bear! Congrats!

Do you have a pic of the bullet? Looks like the TSX'x are performing very well.

-MR

Great job and one fine bear!

3/8" dia 270 TSX vs. black bear = no contest.

Nice bear.

Just scored a box of said boolits a few weeks ago for my 375. That is one hellofva hollow point on the nose of it.
    Last edited by L. G.; 05-27-2009 at 07:17. Reason: . . . .

Congratulations on the bear and proving your rifle and loads in the field.

I shoot the 270 TSX in my 375 H&H behind 76.5 of R-15 for average of 2800 FPS and 3 shots in 3/4" @100 yards...Was not able to bag my bear this spring but will be using this load this fall for mule deer, elk, bear, and an Alaskan Yukon Moose hunt. (I only hunt with 1 rifle now)
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Thumbs up Congrats Bret

Nice to hear about a good story coming together as planned. Sounds like you did homework, put forth the effort and had some cooperation from the bear. Nicely done.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Here are some more pics of the black beauty.

Default .270 tsx

It's not like you really needed this kind of power for a black bear. This is a black bear that is way over average though. I bet you were almost laughing knowing what you were about to send his way! It is awesome to take this kind of bear. Most hunters will not shoot a big bear like this because most bears just don't get that big. I've also taken a blackie that squared the same with a smaller skull. I shot mine in Manitoba with an arrow. That bear aged at only 8.5 years old. I'm curious how old your bear is? Nice job feeding him the big stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    It's not like you really needed this kind of power for a black bear. This is a black bear that is way over average though. I bet you were almost laughing knowing what you were about to send his way! It is awesome to take this kind of bear. Most hunters will not shoot a big bear like this because most bears just don't get that big. I've also taken a blackie that squared the same with a smaller skull. I shot mine in Manitoba with an arrow. That bear aged at only 8.5 years old. I'm curious how old your bear is? Nice job feeding him the big stuff!!!
    The 375 just kills. I like shooting the big stuff where we hunt, because we need the best opportunity to anchor them quickly. If they get off the beach and into the vegetation the chances for finding them decrease dramatically. There are many reasons for this; bears are tough critters, their thick coats soak up blood like a sponge, and the vegetation is down right nasty making it even more difficult to follow the spotty blood trail they leave behind.

Shot placement helps immensely, but I've still seen bears with mangled vitals get into some ultra concealing underbrush 50 yards from the shot.

Big bears? I couldn't agree more with your reasoning and you have the proof to back it up. Once again nice bear.