Thread: 7mm 120 Grain Ballistic Tip for Caribou?

Default 7mm 120 Grain Ballistic Tip for Caribou?

My .280 Remington loves these things with some H414 behind it. It shoots sub MOA groups at 100 yards with them. I was thinking about taking that load with me to hunt Caribou. I know ballistic tips are not the best big game hunting bullets but I did a little research and saw that Nosler ballistic tips hold together pretty well and can take big game. I have also seen that a lot of people take cariobu with a .223 and 22-250. I know shot placement is everything in those cartridges on big game but I personally only take behind the shoulder shots. Has anyone had any luck with similar cartridges on caribou and do you think the 120 grain ballistic tip is enough bullet to get into heart and lungs on shots out to 300 yards?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I dont see why that bullet and rifle combo would not do the trick, again shot placement is everything. Personally I use a 180 gr silver tip balistic out of a 300 win mag, for everything I shoot, moose included. I have taken a few caribou with that load also and it does a wonderful job.

I shot my first caribou with a 180 gr ballistic tip out of my 300 wsm at a distance of 300 yards. It was a broadside shot and I hit him right in the shoulder. He "bucked" at the shot, staggered around, and fell over dead. I ruined most of that shoulder and will never use ballistic tips again because of it. A double lung shot placement would have been better but I still won't use ballistic tips again.

I have been using 180 gr Sierra Gamekings. They are cheap, really accurate, and have performed well for me from sheep to grizz to moose.

Good luck.

Smile probably...

One thing that we should remember is the bullet and where we put it decides on how well our "Old Betsy" performs. A cartridge is only as good as the bullet we put in it. I am sure it will work but a tougher 140 to 175 grain bullet is more better. Don't get hung up on velocity numbers.

I've not filed one down to see, but my understanding is that the 120-grain 7mm ballistic tip has a heavier jacket than the 140 and 150, making it a pretty formidable game bullet.

In general, ballistic tips are not manufactured to be a hunting bullet. One exception to this is the 338 ballistic tips which have a significantly heavier jacket and base which I have been told even Nosler endorses for hunting. Why not give Nosler a call? I suspect a 120 gr. ballistic tip has a heavier jacket because of the anticipated increased stress of increased velocity due to it's lower weight. With the development of the Nosler AccuBond any use of a ballistic tip is pretty much obviated. Because so many people were using BT's to hunt with (very accurate with suboptimal HUNTING performance) Nosler developed a bonded ballistic tip, e.g. Nosler AccuBond.