Thread: cantwell Black bears?

Default cantwell Black bears?

I am heading to the cantwell area for the weekend. I would like to know if the area holds any numbers of black bear. Can a guy glass and then stock ant of the hill sides? any info would be great.

I lived in Cantwell for 10+ years and can count on one hand the number of black bears I saw while in the town of Cantwell and along the Denali Hwy. However, slightly south (east fork of the Chulitna further) hold a fair number of black bears.

I have a bait stand and there are 3 others I know of in the area and none of us have been hit yet. The norm is usually this week of every year. I would suggest glassing the hills above Hurricane this time of year. Nothing down along the rivers yet...

Default Thanks

thank you for the information. I am going to take the family and float the nenana this weekend. Short 6 hour floats and the rest of the day is mine. With that in mind I think that I will do a little glassing up high in the evenings and see what I see. It never hurts to look.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

no but i did see 6 Grizz there on Monday.

one sow with 3 2nd year cubs and 2 boars later. all in 13 of the hwy. that is a lot of bear in one stretch. i know it was between 198 and 221 mile .. as i get phone signal back at 198 and remembered to look at markers at 221 and was on phone when i spotted them... the wife was 2 miles behind with all the cameras. the sow was sure pretty and reared up several times to look at us before she split...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

vince sent a p.m.