Thread: Shrimping in PWS/Whittier

Default Shrimping in PWS/Whittier

Just started shrimping last summer. Just had some questions. What is the optimal depth? i know steep and deep, at least now I do. Last summer we got star fish, cod, octopus, and even a small crabs in our pots. We had a total of around 400 or so on an overnight soak. And of course I want more. So was wondering if you went deeper would you get less "junk" in the pot and just more shrimp, i'm thinking around 90 fathoms or so. Bait, no worries there, I like to experiment and try stuff on my own. Then for locations, what would be a big general area to try? Distance is not an issue for the most part. I want to find my own areas but a tiny bit of direction would mean the world. Also was wondering good times to check pots, like being able to bring them up every 3-4 hrs or something. I have always heard that you need at least an overnight soak. Also have people tried using lights in the pots? like the trophy torch or something? also covering your pots with fabric to make it appear to be a cave or protection? I just want more of them lil buggers. lol.

Eric B.

Please do a search on here and you will find an abundence of information. Steep and deep, pull often (3-5 hours)

We started last year also and did ok setting in 500 to 750 feet anywhere within 40 miles of Whittier. We generally follow the steep and deep methodology, but have also did ok setting down the gut of some bays; usually get 99.9% Spot with rare Side Stripe. Look around youíll see where the pots have been dropped, a lot up in Blackstone and weíve done ok there but generally go further out because thatís were be like to hike and explore.

Have never done good picking sooner than overnight soak, guess we havenít found the sweet spot. Have one pot covered just for trial and not sure if it does any better than non-covered, but does seem to attract bigger shrimp. I believe longer soaks produce bigger shrimp because they are the ones who canít escape as easily, just a theory.

We shrimped up in Wells, Cedar, and Granite bays this weekend and did ok, seems the shrimp toward Valdese are shallower.
    Now Iíve head if you go really deep, past 1000 feet the shrimp are monsters, but havenít tried.

Love to get bigger numbers but picking the pots every 3-5 yours just isnít in the cards if we want to do anything else but shrimp all day.

Use 4 of Steveís pots on a string about 50 feet apart and pull with buoy, only time I lost a pot was when we tried clipping in-back to tying them in now.

Love them shrimp!!!!!!!!!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

We have done Cochrane Bay, a lot of "junk" in the pot there, fair numbers like 40-50 per pot on an overnight soak. But star fish, cods, and octopus there. And Pt. Decision where they were a lot bigger and maybe 60-70 per pot. Still a lot of room for more but better numbers, but still got some "junk". Then of course right in Passage Canal with around 50 or so per pot. I was thinking about going towards the bay with the ship wreck, thats really steep there and maybe that'd be good? Thanks for the info.

Default Great early catch.

I run 4 pots as well and as you can see, there were plenty there after an overnighter. That tote is a 30 gal bbl cut off at 9 inches tall, so I'm guessing theres 4 gals. of whole shrimp in there. That's what I recorded on the permit anyway!

I agree with those stating, it ain't rocket science, just get out and toss em in different places. You'll find a favorite soon enough. I understand the tendancy to try all the goochi tricks you hear about but my personal experience is stay simple. That pot covering will cause more problems than you can imagine, besides after about 8 inches those shrimp are decidedly softer than say a 7 or 6 inch shrimp. Catch enough of them and you will notice this too! Besides, you'll still get your share of them biguns. Weve already had some eggers too!

It's shaping up to be a great summer, enjoy it as much as you can, their not all like this!
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try, Try , and try again until you find the right spot. Look for rocky areas. I found 400+ feet I don't get trash IE fish and star fish in my pots. did great for a 2.5 soak yesterday. I caught the biggest coons I have ever seen.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I haven't figured out what "optimal" is for all the variables yet, but I can throw my two cents in anyway. We did a few pulls with a three pot string this weekend out near Eaglek Bay, 400-450' deep. First and longest pull brought up the most (~150), and the other pulls only brought up about 60 each. The first pull also brought up some coral. I don't know if that means anything or not... Each drop was a few hundred yards from the others, not in exactly the same spot. Didn't get any eggers on this trip, and they weren't the big hogs we've gotten before, mostly medium sized.

Was looking through my logs and saw we were pulling 135 or so BIG bugs up with our two pot strings last year in another area. And we also tried a spot last year that gave up less than a dozen per pull. We've soaked the pots anywhere from 3 hours to 24 hours with mixed results. We also use the same bait and fish the same depth and similar terrain and contour, so I don't know what the difference is... just luck, maybe. I do know that at some point I'll be heading back to where we found all those big hungry bugs last year. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky again.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

thanks guys, this helps out a lot. still trying to solve the big puzzle. lol. shrimping is not my strong suit but i am learning where to go. And if anybody needs help for rod and reel fishing, i am better at that, let me know. haha

Default Fish & Game Page

There is other info on there web page too!
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.

Been to whittier a handful of times shrimpin'.....

Best place I have found is Culross Pass (sp?). Find a nice rocky area at about 100ft deep. We were pulling 100 good size shrimp on each pot. Drop them in and let them soak for a couple hours while you try your luck at fishing in another area.

Be careful though, we have had a few lost pots from idiots stealing our gear, or pulling our pots and taking our shrimp.

Just be sure to throw the females back so there can be plenty of shrimp left for me!
    Fear Nothing, Do Everything!

Default Trivial Pursuit

So, smart people, who can tell me when a boy shrimp becomes a girl shrimp?
    This is important if we are to "throw back the females".
    Mike

The females complain a lot, wear makeup and try to change you!!!!!!!

I read that females start to appear at around 35mm carapace. and some bigger or smaller, and that is from a Fish and Game research done last year.

Kenai King, If you are still on the forum can you maybe help a new ocean boating fellow with some decent halibuts spots close to whittier? Would be greatful for any help. Please Private message me. Thanks a million.

It is pretty widely accepted that decent halibut action is found far away from Whittier. This is a very old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Newakcaptian View Post
    Kenai King, If you are still on the forum can you maybe help a new ocean boating fellow with some decent halibuts spots close to whittier? Would be greatful for any help. Please Private message me. Thanks a million.
    It really depends on what you count as decent. If you're willing to soak bait for hours at a time with the possibility of catching a handful (we're talking catch rates of less than 1/hour at times), then you might find what you're looking for. If you're looking for reliable limits for the anglers on your boat, you won't find it close to Whittier. The exception is if you're willing/able to drop deep - and by deep I mean 1,200-1,600' for halibut.

I know the mods put in a lot of volunteer time on these forums and I appreciate that. I was kind of hoping you were going to ask him to start a new topic or do a forum search. This question has been asked a million times. Tagging it on to a shrimp topic should be discouraged by the mods. One of the biggest issues with the AOF is weeding through search results due to threads that change subject mid-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    I know the mods put in a lot of volunteer time on these forums and I appreciate that. I was kind of hoping you were going to ask him to start a new topic or do a forum search. This question has been asked a million times. Tagging it on to a shrimp topic should be discouraged by the mods. One of the biggest issues with the AOF is weeding through search results due to threads that change subject mid-way.
    Agreed, good point.