Thread: 2008 Moose Hunt

Default 2008 Moose Hunt

Our moose hunt started soon after we returned from a caribou hunt in September 2006. We were fired up after another successful DIY hunt in the wonderful State of Alaska and decided it was time to start planning for a moose hunt. Up until that time we were hesitant to attempt a moose hunt due to the logistics of dealing with such a large animal, but we had gained knowledge & experience from a 2004 black bear hunt & now a caribou hunt.

We read every book & watched every video we could get our hands on to learn about moose hunting. Although I haven't posted much I have sat in the background reading this forum for years the knowledge and insight everyone has provided has been great. We decided on our bush pilot, location & started assembling the gear we would need.

There would be 4 of us making the long journey to Alaska from Kentucky. This would allow us to hunt in pairs for safety & 4 bodies to haul out a moose if we were successful.

We arrived on the lake we would hunt and we had nice weather to set up camp after camp was set up we were able to get a little fishing in. We got up the next morning to another clear sunny day. We could not believe our good fortune in the previous 2 trips we did not any days that it did not rain so we we already ahead of the game. Our 2 groups headed off in different directions to see what the day would bring. We headed up a dry creek bed to try to avoid the muskeg and get further into the bush. After a couple hours of hiking around we settled in on a location that looked "lived in" weather conditions at that time were calm & clear. Since I won the coin toss I won the honor of shooting the first day if an opportunity presented itself. After we settled in my partner started calling & thrashing with Wayne Kubat's Bull magnet. After about 20-30 minutes I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. There 60-70 yards away was a hugh bull moose swaying his head side-to-side. I was in total disbelief, this can't be happening. He looked legal to me but I had to be sure. My partner actually had a better frontal view. I asked him "is he legal?" His response was "shoot him!". I had a perfect broadside shoot & double lunged him with my 300WSM. He just stood there like nothing happened. I was afraid I'd missed somehow. The bull turned and was now facing away from me. I hurried to get another shot in him that shot deflected off a small limb and clipped his eye. You can see the bloody eye in the picture. By that time the effects of the first shot were showing he whobbled and fell over.
    Having killed deer, black bear, caribou & looking at countless video & pictures of moose I thought I was prepared to deal with a dead moose. It was bigger than I ever imagined, just hugh, until you have one dead at your feet you can't grasp how enormous these animals are. We did our back slaping & picture taking and started to cut up our prise.
    We were 2 miles away from camp as the crow flies. It took us 14 man trips over 15 hours to get him out of the woods and back at camp.

Our other hunters had a small bull come into the call but could not shoot.

The rain settled in for the next 4 days and we didn't see another animal. we were able to enjoy alot of story telling and fishing.

As always the people we met in Alaska were great. All of them helped to make the whole experience wonderful.

I hope you enjoyed my story. The final tape showed a spread of 68" as the saying goes it's better to be lucky than good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More pictures

Pictures of the moose

Default More Pictures

Packing him out

Default Great Story

and thanks for sharing. Maybe it was luck but it sounds more like careful preparation - what a great animal.

As the saying goes, "if happiness is a big gut pile, we are the happiest people on earth".

ps. I'm still working on my 68 incher.

Default More Pictures

Small bull coming in

Awesome!! One could go his whole life and never see a moose that big, congrats!!

Default wow

Congratulations! and WOW again.
    Success like that would keep me coming back for years.
    I does sound like you eased into it, planned well and prepared well.
    smile big, you deserve it!

Default Success

"Preparation meeting opportunity =Success "

Default congrats

Sounds like you guys did it right. I hope to be following in your foot steps this fall. Very nice bull!! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Default Nice bull

Nice bull. But 14 man trips - - whew - that is a LOT of walking. We take them out in 6 loads...can do it in 5, but that is just too much weight for us.

congratulations on a fine animal, and thank you for sharing. your progression from black bear in 2004 to caribou in 2006 and finally to moose in 2008 is a great formula for the non-resident DIY. it shows how someone from the "outside" who is willing to take bite size portions of the great land can research, plan, and execute world class hunts. kudos to you for the patience, perserverance, and skill to carry out those adventures. WOW, what a moose!

Default Congrats!

I am sure many viewers will enjoy living through your story of a dream hunt! You already have a liftime of memories and plenty of youth to add more!
    Thank you for sharing your story and especially the importance of planning and being safe! Great animal for sure - I am very envious!!!
    Randy