Thread: Swing over scope mounts

Default Swing over scope mounts

Do the swing over scope mounts hold zero ok when opened and closed?

Thumbs up Pivot Mounts

The Packmar is the best of the bunch............weaver are OK ............never had a problem with either.
    Alaska

Default Swing-Over mounys

I have used the Weaver, the Pachmayr swung overs and even had the opportunity to use the best of the bunch, though not directly over the bore Axis. My opinion is this. Comsidering we have such set up QD mounts, such as the Leupolt, I can't see using one of the older style swing over. IMHO

I have a .308 Model 600 Remington with a Redfield swing over scope base. I was debating whether to keep it on the gun or replace it with fixed bases.

Red field was excellent with their swing mount

Weaver worked but was a low cost mount
    Alaska

I have the Weaver swing over with old 1 1/2X Weaver scope on a 760 for forty plus years still holding strong.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Same as Amigo, the trusty old 6mm Rem has had the Weaver on it for well over 50 years, never had a problem with it.

My older son's almost brand new Leupold died at the range yesterday. He had it on a new Remmy model 700 carbine and something is now rattling around inside.
    That can happen.
    So, on a rifle with no irons, whacha gonna do in the field when your scope gets banged or just malfunctions?
    This is why I am in the process of putting irons on my little Ruger .308 and will get Q/D mounts or a swing-away. I don't plan on taking the scope off again once the irons are sighted in, and the scope is re-zeroed. But if the scope goes south, I want that sucker out of the way so I can at least draw a bead on an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My older son's almost brand new Leupold died at the range yesterday. He had it on a new Remmy model 700 carbine and something is now rattling around inside.
    That can happen.
    So, on a rifle with no irons, whacha gonna do in the field when your scope gets banged or just malfunctions?
    This is why I am in the process of putting irons on my little Ruger .308 and will get Q/D mounts or a swing-away. I don't plan on taking the scope off again once the irons are sighted in, and the scope is re-zeroed. But if the scope goes south, I want that sucker out of the way so I can at least draw a bead on an animal.
    I'm using the regular old Weaver see throughs on my .375h&h for a failure in the field backup, I can see the iron sights under the scope and the see throughs make a handy ghost ring style sight in real close quarters.

TEST them do a 4 round series with open sights and then flip the scope over and use it for 4 rounds alternate for a box of ammo see if the first and last group are the same size if so the mounts are working : IF it ain't broke don't fix it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a pre 64 Win in 300H&H that had the bottom half of a Pachmayr mount on it. I found a top half and muonted a scope on it. I have swung it over and back and even taken it off and put it back on with out changing POI. I have been using it for 10 or 12 years now without having to change zero.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm using the regular old Weaver see throughs on my .375h&h for a failure in the field backup, I can see the iron sights under the scope and the see throughs make a handy ghost ring style sight in real close quarters.
    Good to hear someone had good results with those scope mounts. I could never get the crosshairs to come up enough with those mounts. Had them on a Remington 7400 in 308 and went through 3 different scopes from Bushnell to Kahles and none of them had enough adjustment. Pulled the mounts before resorting to shimming the scope.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb