Thread: Question for potbuilder about pot coming off line

Default Question for potbuilder about pot coming off line

While BSing last season at the Whittier dock and you showed me how a carabiner can come undone from a loop in the pot line if one edge of the loop went back into the carabiner. I think this is what happened last weekend and a pot was lost. What was your solution to that problem? How's a better way to attach pots to the line? Thanks.

Default I 2nd that.

Potbuilder,
    Don't you have some fancy tie or wrap that you splice on the main line so there's a dropper line for each pot? Thus it rolls through the puller sheave easily.
    Pic's or maybe an explanation on how it's done would be appreciated by this shrimper also.
    Thanks,
    BK

Default gangion clamp

I just use a gangion clamp. Not hardly any experience - but when I did use them they seemed to work just fine.

Twist open the line, pull pot line through and make one half hitch, than make three or 4 tucks up the main line. This is how Steve showed me and Iíve never lost a pot. Hung up once over by Knight and tried to pull in all direction, finally gave her hell and pulled loose. Mangled the pot some but straitened best I could and still works great; pulled up some neat looking coral.
    Only time I lost a pot was with gangion clamp, heavy duty ones too- back to tying in.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Here's my snood (dropper) knot, i'll do it in 2 posts because i don't know how to get 3 pictures in one post Jay "breausaw" described it right. I should only show this knot to the guys who buy my gear Once more folks start using it then nobody will lose gear and i'll be out of business Yeah keep using those clips and caribiners that will give me job security
    snoodknot1.JPG

snoodknot2.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

main line is black , snood (dropper) is white w/red tracer, do 3 tucks through the main line i only have 2 in this picture.
    snoodknot3.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

So, using the dropper, is there some way to release the pots from the line, or are they always attached? I need to be able to remove my pots and store them in a different location on my boat due to space issues. I don't think having the line permanently attached would work for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Rod,
    How about using one of these pot spinners(swivels) on the bridle of your pot, you just run the dropper line through the swivel and tie a figure 8 knot in the end so it jams up against the hole but it allows your pot to spin and not twist the line when hauling.
    potwbridle.JPG

pot spinner closeup.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    So, using the dropper, is there some way to release the pots from the line, or are they always attached? I need to be able to remove my pots and store them in a different location on my boat due to space issues. I don't think having the line permanently attached would work for me...

Rod,

The dropper knot that Steve shows takes about 30 sec to tie and 20 sec to un-tie; the knot isn't permanent.
    The only disadvantage to using this knot over snaps is you have to prep all your pots prier to set, Iíve worked this out by staking pots and tying in top down with coils tossed underneath..works for me. When we pull them helper holds line while I untie, no problem.

Or you can buy Steveís doohickey thing and do the loop-de-loop.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Thanks

Steve,
    You-da-man! Breausaw nice explanation.
    Hopefully headed out this weekend!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Steve,
    You-da-man! Breausaw nice explanation.
    Hopefully headed out this weekend!
    BK
    Not to be misleading, the dropper knot could be permanent in that I donít think it would ever work loss.
    Good luck this weekend Iíll be dropping some pots and headed out toward Montague for some butt.

Jay
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.