Thread: Gas gauge issue?

Default Gas gauge issue?

Well i headed out to Whittier this weekend and found a few new issues with the boat. First the gas gauge quickly went down showing empty after less than 100 miles at 3800 rpm's. This all happened while i was out in Culrose pass and i made the long puckered drive back to the pump just to find out that i still had about 12 gallons left! After that my trim tabs decided to stop working. Are the trim tabs controlled through a fuse that might have possibly popped? I can't imagine that both tabs stopped working at once or maybe i am just ignorant about how they work. Any ideas on these two issues? We did manage to catch a few hundred shrimp and shoot one bear, so it wasn't a total waste!!

David

Default Trim tabs

Mine have a fuse, and I've had it come loose and lost the tabs. I would suggest a flowscan to monitor your fuel better.
    Last edited by Muskie; 05-26-2009 at 13:00. Reason: added comment

Default MDWhatley,

When you fill your gas gauge, does it show full or 1/2 full? Some sending units in the tank are 6 volt while others are 12 volt. If the wrong one is installed, ie...a 6 v sending unit in a 12 v set-up, the gauge will only read about 1/2 full when in fact it is full. (Lesson learned from experience.)
    If the fuse is not popped on the trim tabs, are they Bennet? Are they mounted down in the motor well where water could have leaked into the fluid reservoir?
    If indeed your trim tabs have water in the resevoir, the trim tab motor might run but nothing happens. To determine this shut everything off and have someone listen to the pump as you try to move the tabs.
    If so, empty the reservoir completely by sucking out all the ATF fluid. If it had any contamination, it will be strawberry colored vs. a nice deep red. (Use a clear container to empty it in to and let it sit overnight to see how much water you actually had.)
    Refill the resevoir w/new ATF fluid. Function trim tabs a few times. Empty resvoir again and fill with new ATF fluid. They should work properly now.
    My .02.
    BK

Default Not sure of voltage...

When i fill it up, it only goes to about an 1/8th shy of full everytime. I filled it up to the point the neck was almost full, so i know it was completely full that time and i got the same reading. Yes they are bennet and i will look at the fluid possibility. Where is the fuse panel located on a 220 searunner? I was looking around the other day and didn't see one, but i also didn't tear through the boat either. Thanks again for the help!

David

Default Hmmm...

Sounds like the gauge is OK as far as the problem I described.
    Let me know what you find on the trim tabs. Just did this myself on ours, thus I should be able to help you out.
    My fuse is located directly behind my controller, mounted in the dash, in-line on the power cable coming from the battery.
    BK

Default Fuse Panel

I have a 22 Searunner also, my fuse panel is up under the console. You'll have to get under there to see it. It might just be a bad or loose fuse.
    Dave

On your fuel issue I agree with using a flowscan with fuel totalizer. it will tell you how much fuel you burned. if you add fuel when out playing you can still track usage instead of depending on the bouncing gauge. I have had one too many puckered trips to the dock also before I invested the money into a flowscan.

Default Maybe electrical

If the sender quit all at once, it could be corroded electrical. some fuel tanks also ground the sending unit through the aluminum tank. on a boat used in the salt you should go through the electrical every 3-4 years and clean EVERY connection and treat with corrosion inhibitor. Sounds like it maybe time for you to check it out.

Check grounds for both the sending unit for the fuel guage and trim...bet they are on the same screw and is corroded...happened to us on a friends boat.

floscans are the best hands down, they are not cheap but, either is a tow in.........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Had Same Problems

Like AK2AZ said - it may just be the grounding for both the trim tabs and the fuel gauge. I had the same thing(s) go offline at the end of last season and put boat away without fixing. This spring found the grounding problem through process of elimination and multi-tester. Cleaning (and tightening) all connections having to do with grounding is a good thing to get done before the season begins. BTW, Flowscan is on my wish list! ;-]

Default Sorry for the late report back...

Well now that i finally got a bear bown and got the wife out for the Anniversary, so i can get back to normal life. Well both the trim tabs and my CD player are now working again. It ended up being a loose wire issue with both of those. The gas guage is still running roughshot, but working to the extent that i can know how much i have to run on. I might just install a fuel flowscan and make the gas gauge a non-issue. Any suggestions for brand and who to have do the install? Thanks

David

Default Hey Doc,

I have the Navman F2100. $150. Should be able to get it on E-Bay. It measures within a couple gallons at 80 gallons burned. A must have tool for getting the right prop and trim settings for optimum mpg.
    As far as your gas gauge, pull the sending unit and bend the float arm down "some". Do it with a half tank, as measured when you pull the float. Re-install the float, and it should read around half full. It is wise to turn off your battery power while tinkering with this.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Default Floscan

I have the Floscan and it works well also, I think it may cost a little more than the Navman but it has worked well the last 5 years. Install was pretty easy I would just do it yourself.
    Dave

Default Flowscans..

Flowscans seem to be the most recommended fuel scanner out there, so that may be what i go with. If it's not too big of a job then i will just install it and feel much better when the guage drops way earlier than it should.

Default Garmin GFS10

If you have a garmin 5xxx/4xxx/5xx/4xx you can install the garmin fuel flow sensor. Pretty sweet (and cheap) and has been pretty accurate for me. Real surprise to see how much fuel i'm really burning at any certain RPM. Gives you GPH, MPG, Total Fuel, Range (at current rate), etc... Worth the cost just to find the best economy RPM per given load...

~AKBoatR
    Attached Images Attached Images