Thread: Pike Lures

Default Pike Lures

I've been chasing Pike down on the peninsula this weekend. I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas on weedless lures. I have tried the floating mice and frogs from Fred Meyer. I am seeing tons of fish in the weed beds but just can't get them to go after the frogs or mice. When I can see them on the edge I throw a vibrax, daredevil or something else which seems to work. I'm pretty new to the pike fishing thing so info is welcome from people up north who fish them more regularly.

Thanks
    Jacob

you're on the right track...keep doing what you're doing, they're just a little sluggish this time of year...what I do when they don't bite is shoot 'em with an arrow........PM Mthayer, he's new to the peninsula and is already finding success with the pike down there...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I like to run a Johnson's Silver Minnow with a MrTwister Split Double Tail Grub as a trailer.

I use either a Gold or Silver Johnson's with a white grub as my go to setup for pike. I thread the body of the grub onto the spoon more than is depicted in the picture. The grub will curl slightly around the bend ot the hook.

The Fusia show's up better in the picture.

Default pike

well i have fished for a lot of pike up in fairbanks and have caught a lot on plastic worms. if you can see them put on a 6 or 8 inch worm with a worm hook and no wieght flip it up there and hold on. they will nail it. what i do is use a 24 inch leader of like 40lbs test instead of a steel leader. also i like using regular spinner baits with a big willow and a smaller colorado blade. either buzz it right on top to make a wake or slow roll it. well hope this helps and post pics love lookin at pics here in the desrt to bring back a little of alaska that im missing.

matt

Default Info good

I thought it would be cool to do the archery fishing but I don't have a bow. Also I looked at the johnson deal there but can't find a place here on the peninsula that sales them, I guess I'll have to place an order maybe to get some. Also about what size would you suggest on the Johnson thanks

Thanks for the info
    Jake

For the Silver Minnows I use the two biggest sizes.
    The shallower the water you are fishing and the less actve the fish the smaller you should go. The trailer helps to keep the lure higher in the water coloumn while alowing you to slow down your retrieve.

If you can get to them from the waterside (not shorefishing) I like to use weedless bass jigs. Catching them on topwater is intense but its also pretty sweet watching the tops of the weeds go crazy when they take off with that jig.

Anyone got any pike spots on the Peninsula that they dont mind giving up or mind a tagalong? I'm having a tuff time getting into any decent action around Anc.

Thanks,
    Jason

we speared a lot of them but the biggest pike I've caught was on a 5 of diamonds. daredevils seem to work really good to.

Default fish caught

Thanks for the info I was able to get out last night with my brother after work and caught two fish and lost to many. I caught mine on a rubber worm, and his was on daredevil one was 20" the other 19". I'm waiting still for my johnson minnows to show up but can't wait. I also heard from fish and game who were out mapping the lake the other day that they are planning to rotenone Scout Lake in October.

Hard to beat the silver minnow when it comes to weedy fishing....an oldie but still probably the best.

I also like using big jigs with rubber shad tails on them. They get a little chewed up but they work great in medium to deeper water when you want to swim that sucker right along the tip of the weeds or off a drop off.

My favorit spoon though is from Williams....the williams wobbler and williams whitefish are great pike and char spoons. The wobbler even doubles for an openwater and hardwater jigging spoon.

Also for the weeds, put a single siwash on it instead of the trebles, it helps you from catching every single piece of veg in the lake and doesn't really cost you hook ups or landings....and they are soooo much easier to get out of those toothy mouths.

Thumbs up congrats

Hey glad some of the tips you got worked. Was wondering ifthe fish you lost was because you got bit off or just hook came out. but comgrats on the fish you caught and hope you get some more. Post some pice would love to see them.

matt

Default Pike

If you can get a boat, flip towards the shore. Actually if you can get a weedless lure flip it on shore and pull it in the water as if its going for a swim. Any bass lure should get them to strike. If you can find baby duck lures they should hit that pretty hard this time of the year. Good luck

They're not weedless but they slay the pike. They're called a Bassarino and they're a floating plug type lure with two treble hooks on the under side with a concave nose that gives the head a back and forth wobbly effect. Cast these on the edge of lilly and weed beds and you'll do great! Only problem is, I haven't seen these in alaska. I bought mine in Minnesota before I moved here.

Don't forget the buzz baits....they do a nice job of threading through reeds etc and if you keep em up, run right over the weeds. Hook up rates are less than others but the take is fantastic.

Most of the lost fish were due to tossing the hook, I need to sharpen all of my hooks up that would help a lot. Two of them were from the pike biting the line and losing the lure and all. I don't like using steel leaders but it sure sucks when your 5 dollar weeless mouse goes swimming away. When I find my camera cord I will get some pics posted.