Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 foot john with a 50/35

Default 16 foot john with a 50/35

Alright I have researched this some by digging up old posts, but cant find anything that I believe yet!

Some people say its enough power, some say no. Ak Mining says it will be OKAY

This weekend I was running my boat on the river (25 prop) at 25mph downstream, 16mph upstream. This was with 3 pretty big guys. I find that speed acceptable.

I plan on day fishing trips, light overnighters and just tooling around with my boat. I really like that Honda 35 jet. I spoke with a couple guys at the launch that were running one. They really liked it and said it made there 16foot g3 work good. They looked like they had a lot of gear too. The g3 is about 100 lbs heavier than my boat.

Also I wonder if I ought to go remote steer with that motor? There is a sticker on my boat that says engine weight not to exceed 220 lbs or boat performance will be affected.

Default I had a 16-56 allweld with the honda 35 jet

I baught is new and used it for 2 years. I loved it. It was great with 2 guys and some gear. I hauled 3 guys and gear a few times. That set up is fun but drops off pretty quickly with more than 2 guys + gear. It has to be run wide open when ther is 3 or 4 of you. The moter is very quiet and sips fuel. I think is is a near perfect budget fishing boat for 2 people. That being said if I had is to do again I would put a yamaha 70 hp 2 stroke on the same boat. It is lighter than the honda 50 and has a lot more power. Then you would have a hunting and fishing boat. Several boat shops still have some new Yamahas.
    One good thing if you buy the honda then decide you wish you had'nt they have great resale.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Well I called marita today and found out they have a 25 at the jet mercury on sale for 5100.00

Now what I dont understand is that if the 25 prop worked acceptable, why wont the 25 jet? and yes its 25 at the jet, the motor is built on a 35 powerhead.

I mean horse power is horse power right? Is there something Im not seeing here?

For 2K less, thats hard to turn down. I dont need to be the fastest guy on the water, just the most budget consious.

I have a friend with a 16' riveted jon with a 50/35 honda jet, it is a tiller (the only way to go, IMO). Unloaded it easily does 30+. A nice cruizing speed is 23 or so. He loaded it down this past weekend with his wife and two young kids, plus a lab and camping supplies and fuel for a 70 mile round trip. It was fine, not sure on speed but I would bet 23-25 downstream on the big su and around 18 to 20 upstream. The fuel economy is amazing and I think you would be more than happy with the set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well I called marita today and found out they have a 25 at the jet mercury on sale for 5100.00

Now what I dont understand is that if the 25 prop worked acceptable, why wont the 25 jet? and yes its 25 at the jet, the motor is built on a 35 powerhead.

I mean horse power is horse power right? Is there something Im not seeing here?

For 2K less, thats hard to turn down. I dont need to be the fastest guy on the water, just the most budget consious.

I have heard that motor is a dog. Reed's up in Fairbanks had some '08's for just over $3,000 earlier this year but they are sold out, it was a smokin deal.

Check with Dewey's, I know he bought up all the Yamaha 40 jets in the country, he may have some left. I don't know what he is getting for them but it is worth a call. If i remember correctly the price was pretty good and they came with a tiller, I don't want to get your hopes up but I think it was around 5k or just under.

Here is what I experienced...
    a 25 hp two stroke prop (with the right pitch) on a 1648 riveted Lowe performed better than the same boat with a 40 hp two stroke jet. Both were Yamaha motors. Fuel consumption was about the same, but the 40 hp was a bit faster. This was hauling quite a lot of weight...over recommended limit. Sometimes two big guys with camp and all the gas you could stuff onboard, and sometimes building materials. The correct pitch on the prop makes all the difference in the world when loaded heavy. Not as fast as when light with the standard prop, but who cares about 2, 3 or 5 mph anyway with this small boat.

I have since moved to an 1860 G3 with the 90/65 Yam jet 4 stroke tiller and love it. Not a tunnel. I do not like steering consoles on any of these small boats, as they take up too much space, add weight and are hard to fish out of.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I dont need to be the fastest guy on the water, just the most budget consious.
    well, to be the most budget conscious you need to sell your boat and hitch a ride with your buddies...

seriously though, how many props can you buy for $5K?...you'll only hit a few times then you'll learn where not to go...

ok, enough goofing...I'd bet you could find someone to take you for a ride in a similar boat....that's perhaps the only way to know for sure....by the sounds of it though, a 50hp should be plenty to get you where you need to go...you won't win any races but you'll avoid having a collection of bent props in your garage...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yes Hp is Hp, It,s how the Hp is used, the efficieny of it, The prop your are slicing through the water, lower unit, with gear ratio, certain pitch prop, so forth, you get the picture. A jet Has to pick the water up and spin it around then shove it out a small hole, to push the boat along. lot of effort to get the same movement in the boat.I would +1 to what yukon said, 50/35, Bigger is better with a jet! you won,t be dissapointed. And you won,t have to run that motor, WOT, all the time to get where you are going. Always have power to spare, bigger motor working less will do better on gas than a small one thats being run hard.

Matt, you are receiving good advice with the bigger is better mindset. I had a 16' tunnel with a 40/30 jet. I put three people and gear, roughly 1000lbs, in that boat and got onstep no prob but I had no power to spare and tight corners were downright scary. The boat was good for two people plus a days worth of gear.

My advice, spend the extra money and get a motor that you will be happy with for years to come. Set the boat up right and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Matt, you are receiving good advice with the bigger is better mindset. I had a 16' tunnel with a 40/30 jet. I put three people and gear, roughly 1000lbs, in that boat and got onstep no prob but I had no power to spare and tight corners were downright scary. The boat was good for two people plus a days worth of gear.

My advice, spend the extra money and get a motor that you will be happy with for years to come. Set the boat up right and be done with it.
    Excellent advice as well.

If I remember correctly this is your first boat. Throw that "budget conscious" stuff out the window. THings break down, it gets expensive, pretty much $500 minimum for each breakdown, and that is just for a jon boat like yours, the bigger the boat, the bigger the hole in the water for your money to go down.

Get the motor that will suit your needs and make you happy, not just a motor that will work, or should work, or get you buy. If you have the extra money the 50/35 honda is a great way to go, plus you will have a warranty.
    I just took my older 90hp yami jet in for what I figured was new bearings, it looks like I will need a shaft as well, with labor I am looking at $500 to $600+ easy. You just gotta smile and take it, it is all part of the wonderful world of boats! Good luck on your choice.

Default 16 foot john with a 90/65

Trust me you can go too far with the motor. I'm running a 16 ft Lowe roughneck tunnel, center console with a 90/65 Honda on the back. The salesman at AMDS sweet talked a sucker in to the bigger the motor. Bigger is better most of the time. After the break in on Finger Lake which was pretty flat and easy I took it out on the Big Su and about killed myself. Motor is way too heavy and far too much power out the jet for this boat. I almost flipped her over backwards when I hit the first rapid.

After about a year of adjustments and getting to knowing her well we have reached an agreement not to kill each other.

Depending on how many are going out with me I adjust the weight in the bow with bags of lead shot. I have a total of eight and adjust with who and how heavy the person or persons with me are. My wife being quite a bit smaller than me and she's the only one we take eight bags. My son with me who is a foot taller than me is six bags. Three people four bags. Four people no bags.

The good part, she will scream and there is plenty of power to do anything I want to do. I can haul more than the boat should ever have in it and the fuel consumption is awesome. I love the tunnel hull. Fourth year with it and have not hit the foot on anything yet. Knock on wood. Say what you want about the fishing room but I love the center console and will never get a boat without it again. Most of the time it is just me and my wife and it has more than enough room for 2 people to fish well. 3 is ok but 2 is perfect. I'm a miserable old ******* and nobody likes me so I don't have to worry about taking friends out.

With the experience I now have Id never go more than a 50 jet for the 16 footer.

I will probably in the future buy an 18 or 19 footer, put the 65 jet on it and put a 35 or 40 jet on the 16 footer.

Talking 1648

I have a 1648 flat bottom boat with a 40 yamaha at the power head.
    The boat is great for 2 people any more and I will have to run WOT.
    I will be selling my boat next year and will be purchaseing a bigger river boat.
    If I were you I would go with the bigger motor, so you dont have to sell and then rebuy.

Default Here, here gconk

You're right, nobody likes you! You're boat is SO SMALL no one wants to fish with you. You're being a bit of a BSer though, if your wife goes, there isn't any room in the boat for anyone else! Yhea, that's right, you heard me right. I'm a grumpy old ******* too and nobody likes me either, but I have a BIG BOAT and people want to go fishing with me!...

I agree with Wolfkiller. I have a 16' Alweld with a 35 Honda jet at my fish camp. It works great with 2 people and minimum gear with a little power to spare for corners and shallow riffles. Much more weight and you have no power to spare for the sticky spots and you have to run that little motor pretty hard.

It uses between 2-3 gallons per hour, fires up and purrs within 1 millisecond (o.k, 1 second!) after sitting all winter, and just goes and goes....

Well Im all set to get that 35 jet, just need to stop in and sign the dotted line... Now to sleep on it and justify the expense!

Default Congrats

I think you will love that boat. I told my self I would never get rid of mine. I needed the cash for my new boat so I sold it. I still miss it sometimes.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default 40/35, 50/35

This thread is of great interest to me as I'm in a similar boat, a 1652 welded. Tried to push it w/ an older 35 Johnson, no good. Has anyone tried the 40/30 Yamaha on a welded Jon? What do you run on your 16 foot welded boat?

When you start talking welded boats you might want to up the hp a bit. A 40/30 would push it fine but not with much of a load. i went with the 60/40 yamaha jet on my 18 footer (riveted Lund) and it does a great job and hauls tons. They aren't that much more expensive and don't weight that much more either but you then have a nice combo of power and weight. I think trying to make a workhorse boat out of the 30 hp jets will just leave you wishing for more power. Then again, to go to the 65 (as someone here told the story) is definitley a little hot.

Default Tohatsu Vs. E-tec

I'm still curious about the last questions but how about the Tohatsu 50 vs E-tec 50 anyone have experience with either or both?

I bring the boat in Monday for the install. I went for the remote steer. I was gonna go to tiller, but once I tried the console out to see how it fits in my boat I changed my mind and decided on the console.

It will give me better visibility and I think it the boat will ride better. It doesnt seem to take up that much room and cant weigh more than 30 pounds. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Hopefully this 50/35 will fill my needs, I expect it will. I think the honda was the best value even though it was the most expensive. Just wished there were competing Honda dealers in town!! I couldn't even get a free gas tank thrown in! I could have got a better deal from the seward dealer but I would have had to wait a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast