Thread: the trip is not going to happen right now

Default the trip is not going to happen right now

bright and early sat morning i went to clean out my post box at the local post office and tell the post master there to close out my box and foreward all my mail to my new post office box up in alaska that i had rented there for my mail..

sitting on top of the piles of mails was a notice from the local country about jury duty..

i pulled the pin thrusday at 10.pm was my last shift and went friday to get the paperwork filled out where to send any other paperwork i might need from the job and make sure the retirement checks go to the right banks to be able to get money to pay the bills
    and knowing that i told all the right people that i was leaveing on the morning of the 26 my birthday.
    i would no longer be liveing in my state for i would on the move to my new home in alaska

my house is sold and packed up and moved to the pods for travel to the new homestead site up there,,
    i left the new owneres a set of table and chairs set for the kitchen and my old bed set is being given away this morning to good will for i bought a brand new one for up there..

the new owners are my nieice and her husband they like the place and want to buy it and the land ..so they made me a good offer for it and i took it..
    they found sunday morning about the jury duty thing and was laughing and told me to stay in the house intill i got it cleared up ..

this what he said if i was you monday night i stop by give me the house keys and i would be gone and out the state by sun up and be on the road and not looking back to this place

they are both sheriffs deputys with the county that i live in

it allmost 5.am right now i thinking that i can be somewhere out of the state in about 4-hours or less

all the two duffle bags and the garment bags along with laptop case ready to be packed up to along with the two long gun rifle case to hold all the rifles and pistol that iam takeing are setting in the front room right now ready to be loaded into the truck for travel
    just say f---it and leave right now

since iam not comeing back for a couple years away..

so here the deal

do you run and not look back
    or
    do stay and do the right thing about jury duty..

i am going to log back on in a couple hours after i try to get the problem fixed to see the commicts

Just call them from out of state and tell them what your situatuion is. I'm perty sure they'll understand.

Usually jury duty is for some time in the future. I just received a summons for jury duty in Ohio, where my mother still lives but I haven't since 1972. Call them up and explain that at that time you will be living in Alaska and not the local area. You are establishing residency in Alaska and will no longer vote in you home area. Don't just run and not look back, but you also shouldn't have to put your life on hold, so call them.

Claim a hardship....relocating to AK is not easy...lots of coordination, planning, etc. It could be seen as a major life change, depending on your circumstances. Contact the court to explain as a courtesy...help's with their roster of available jurors.

This is a no brainer. Just call the court and say you are moving. Selling the house is proof enough. They will wave you in a heart beat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Had the same thing happen in the 90s. Moved from VT to AK and got a jury duty summons a week before I left. Got a threatening notice forwarded to my new address and just provided proof of residency in AK and it was cleared up.

Definitely not dire enough to change your plans.

I sure wouldn't let it slow me down. Make a call and tell them that you are en route moving to AK permanently. Technically en route doesn't really specify where "en route" you are. So you happen to be a good bit closer to the beginning, that is nothing to worry about. Heck during the Stevens trial they had a juror just up and leave during deliberations with no real repercussions. <grin> Have a great trip!

Tell em the kings are runnin hard and if you don't get there soon you will miss it, and then once the anger and depression set in you just might end up on the wrong side of the jury box. So it's in their best interest and the interest of public safety to let you go.

Default moving with guns

I hope that if you are coming this way that you know that your guns you have will be a pain when going into canada. In the early 80s when I moved this way I had lots of guns and they didn't care back then. Well that is long guns they didn't like handguns even then. Now it's all much harder and you will have to put up money for each gun. Not for sure how much but have been told its like $200 for each long gun and don't think you can do any handguns. Just something to think about before you get to the border. Its easier to ship them to a gun dealer. Last aug coming back up the road the border guard asked me like 3 differant gun related questions after I had told them that I don't have any guns. They were not happy with me making jokes about it and made me park and come inside so they could ask many more questions. I was just having fun with them as I had nothing with me to get into trouble.Good luck with the move.

the local da is a pick typle of guy and he and i had a lot of bad history togerther in a couple of old cases where he lost the case by not being ready for the guy lawyer and we have told him that the guy lawyer was pretty fast typle of guy and to watch out for him..
    but the lady that does the jury duty summons for people and she told me that the da saw my name on the list and she was told to make sure i did not wriggle out of it,
    so iam setting here in my old home and thinking about ways to get out of it doing the part where they are called to be interview ..
    so i have thought of some crazy things to say dureing that time
    so in two weeks i have to been there for the day in the courtroom..

so i have to cut out some of the people that i are going to vist dureing the trip to seattle to make the move ..
    i have to be in seattle in the middle of the month of july to make the ferry for the trip north..
    i shipped my handguns and rifle with some class three items to a friend who is a police officer up there and he has allready gotten them and they are waiting for me as we speak..
    all i have left is my blazer m-95 combo rifle and shotgun in a hardshell rifle case for travel in the truck
    i found out all my pod stowage units are there and ready to unload and put into stowage..for now i waiting for the building premits for the building of the home..

Just leave.

Jury duty...... Never been never will. Unless times have changed and these notices are now sent certified mail you can pretty much mistake them for junk mail and toss em out. whoops How can the court prove that you received the notice?

Dude, they are not going to sign out a warant for your arrest for leaving the same day you get a jury duty notice. Just leave.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by akdoug View Post
    dude, they are not going to sign out a warant for your arrest for leaving the same day you get a jury duty notice. Just leave.
    ditto! Just do it!

i talked to the judge today and i could leave friday morning after thurs morning meeting i have with the judge for the case,,
    he told the da that this was a stupid move on his part and that i get picked he would have to put me up the whole time in a hotel for the length of the trail..