Thread: Homer Butt' report

Default Homer Butt' report

My family and I managed to get down to the homer area this weekend and had a fairly good time. On sat sun we went out and messed around for abit for an hour or so within 4 or 5 miles of the spit and I caught my first halibut in our boat, a nice 38 lber, the 2nd biggest we saw even for charters down there this weekend. On monday we headed out early, took a nice flat ride to selodiva and walked around in the lazy beautiful town for awhile. After this, we picked up some bait and went back to butt fishin. We got 3 within an hour, I hooked another nice one at 30 lbs, and my step dad got a 15lber and a 20-25 lber. The halibut bite was fairly steady once we managed to find them but we left before limiting out because of time restrictions.

All in all we came back with 45-50 lbs of beautiful meat, and a few sunburns and coughs to accompany it.

P.S- Most people seemed to be getting chickens 10 lbs or under, saw 2 different charters pegging up pics of the few 7-10 lbers , overall we saw one nicer fish the entire weekend at 60 lbs and heard of another non confirmed 130 lber, great way to kick off the season.

Take care and good luck, I'll see if I can get some pics up within the week.

-Nick

Thumbs up hey nick...

give me a call next time you're down... i'll buy you a root beer
    seriously, take the time to say hi... you can raise me on VHF 5 or 69, call "blackfish".
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Hehe will do Dave, I looked for your boat everytime we were out and looked around the harbor but did not have the name and only remember its a nice alum. landing craft. I soon found out there was about 10 of those out there this weekend, felt as if I would look a little bit crazy walking around and asking if their captains names were Dave all weekend.

We will be back on June 26th (give or take a few days)? To board the ferry to Kodiak-

Take care
    -Nick

Well dang it if I would've know if you were down there Nick we should've linked up. Had fairly decent luck on catching a few chickens. Only got one day of fishing in because I planned poorly thinking my boat would be ready thursday for pick up after getting some work done. Linked up with another forum member chico99645 and his family they are a very nice, stand up family. Always have a place on my boat to fish off of.

Thanks for the compliment Ken. We had a great time and enjoyed your company. Was exhausted Saturday night by the time we got all cleaned up so we just all crashed. We hit Village Spot again after we left you at the dock and they were thick as thieves, but again small. Went to Flat Island also and connected with one small one again and it was slow. Several Charter boats were there and no one was connecting so we went back to Village Spot and continued to hammer them. We still didn't get any over 30 pounds. Cleaned fish that night next to a guy that went about 10 miles from Augustine. 3 hour ride he said. They had 3 over 100 and not one smaller than 50. Talked to a gamewarden at the dock Sunday afternoon. He was there most of the afternoon and only had a few over 50 pounds. He said most people had limits of 10-20 pounders or they just got skunked. Lots of boats that went clamming came in with good steamers from China Poot. He only saw 1 King all afternoon. Got a few more cod and just cooked them up tonight in Seward. They were awesome. I will go out of Seward tommorrow and give it a try. Wish me luck. See you Saturday if you make it down.

Mark

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up thanks dave

And a nice lil landing craft she is too.. hey Dave it was awsome meeting up with you and thanks for the ride.. i had a great chat with your Sis in law. the wife and son got to head out on a charter sunday. so we stayed longer then planned. but the each had a great time ( first timers) caught some of those chickens... 20 lb ;ers or so...

man what a LONG Haul home though.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Glad to see you guys had some luck. Tried to get out by Anchor Point Friday afternoon and Saturday morning but got blown out both days. Since I don't know the area very well we ended up fishless. Regardless, we had a great time and I visited the "Gear Shed" for the first time this weekend. Man what a cool store. Bought some cod weight molds and a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't really need.

Repeat of info I sent to Ken210 . . .

Fished Friday off of Seldovia and pulled in three in the 25# range (3 fishermen), a little bit slow. We fished towards Anchor Point on Saturday, and limited the boat (4 fishermen) with fish in the 10-25# range. Sunday there were three of us and we fished Seldovia again, and brought home 5 - #120, 90, 60, 30, 30 . . We stopped short of a limit because it slowed down, and we wanted to get back in time for dinner. Monday I fished 9 of us (two trips) and we limited the boat off of Anchor Point again with fish in the 10-30# range.

The nice thing about Anchor Point is that it's only 100' of water, which makes it great for fishing kids and women. Off of Seldovia we're in 230-250' of water, and using 3# weights when the tide's rippin' . . . Not so much fun, but the fish are usually bigger.

Weather was nice, water was great, nobody got hurt and nothin' got broke - so it was a great weekend.

Here's an "action shot" of Marks boat on our way out.

And a pit stop in Seldovia for one of the gals. She needed a little break from fishing in rollers and I really wanted ice cream

Default Evidence

Just to show I'm not COMPLETELY full of fecal matter . . .

FISH ON!

Talking Nice fish!

Glad the weather has held and safe, fun weekends were to be had.

Now, if only I can get my boat out of the shop . . .

You have some AWESOME eating there! Nicde fish

Nice Fish Sierra Hotel. You got these off Sedovia? Ken and I were in the wrong spot as are fish were a tad bit smaller than yours. Ok, alot smaller. Motored past your boat in the Homer Harbor. I like your electronics. Maybe in a few more year.

Way to go SH...... I know who I'm following out to the fishing grounds
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Any time Gary, just give a shout . . .