Thread: New Marlin Guide Gun

Default New Marlin Guide Gun

I suppose this is old news to you all, but I just heard about it a few weeks ago. Any comments? I was looking at a .375 Ruger, this may change my mind. It would be a big bear gun for me.

Marlin® Unveils Big Bore Series 1895SBL – The Ultimate “Guide Gun”

North Haven, CT – Guides and outfitters have placed their trust in Marlin lever-action carbine rifles for decades due to their rugged dependability, fast actions and compact stow-anywhere design. For 2009, Marlin takes the guide rifle to the extreme with the introduction of the Model 1895SBL.

The new 1895SBL is chambered for the legendary 45-70 Government; a round that has proven its worth on every North American big game species from Maine to Alaska. The 1895SBL is built to handle the worst mother nature can throw its way with stainless steel barrel, receiver, trigger guard plate, loading gate and enlarged loop lever. Other distinguishing features include a weather-impervious laminated stock, heavy 18 1/2-inch barrel and 6-shot full length tubular magazine.

Ready for a quick call to action, the 1895SBL features the durable XS® Ghost Ring Sight System which allows for faster target acquisition and improved accuracy over conventional sights. For those who prefer using optics, the 1895SBL comes standard with a XS lever rail that provides a rock-solid mounting platform for a variety of options including long eye relief scout scopes, traditional scopes and even red dot or holographic sights.

Maybe they relised the Marlin rounds are not really better than the old rounds.

Default marlin

sounds like mine! except mine isnt stainless. The guide guns are imo some of the best rifles out there, Ive been working on a good all around load for mine the last few days, settled on 40.7 grn 3031 behind a 405 home cast bullet clocked it at 1350 fps, zeroed it at 175 at 200 4 shot group has all bullets touching.

If you like stainless & pistol-grip style stocks, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better.
    I'm one of those strange folks that prefers blue steel, walnut, & a atraight stock but it's all personal preferance. I will say I love my Guide gun.
    Mine is in 450 rather than 45-70 (not that it makes a difference, & has XS ghostring sights(with protective wings on rear), DRS large loop lever, DRS trigger, XS lever scout scope mount (someday to wear a Burris or Leupold scout scope. For now probably a red dot I already have), Simms slip on recoil pad, & nice leather but stock cuff/shell holder.
    I love my Guide Gun!
    If you grab one I don't think you'll be sorry. I believe the 1st weeks production run started last week & they have begun shipping.
    Hang around here
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/
    for a day or so & you'll "have to" have one!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I'ld like to get

just the full length mag on my "old school" 450 GG!
    Mike
    (Just had to say the old school thing about something less than 10 years old for the halibut!
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I'm one of those strange folks that prefers blue steel, walnut, & a atraight stock but it's all personal preferance.
    I'm old school also and don't like shiny stainless steel even though I have some, but there are ways to blue stainless and get the best of both. I have stainless steel Knight muzzle stuffer that I ordered blued and if Marlin did it that’s the way I would go. Still got to have a true wood stock though, nothing looks or feels like wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Hang around here
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/
    for a day or so & you'll "have to" have one!

I don't need help in that department, I don't think I ever laid my mitts on a gun I could live without! Makes for a very long list of “must have” guns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Can't be in a hurry...

I'd heard 25 SBLs were destined for Alaska, but not soon.

Interested in the rifle, I contacted Marlin, who replied promptly but said the second truckload just went out, bringing the total shipped rifles to 87; all bound for distributors and none bound for Alaska. The Marlin rep expects production to pick up steam, but the startup to be slow.