Thread: montana creek help

Default montana creek help

I have never fished montana creek for kings just for rainbows upstream.I am thinking of taking the family and camping at the montana creek campground and trying my luck the weekend of june the 5th or maybe june the 12th my two weeks off from the slope.Can i hope for any luck that early? Any advice would be appreciated. How far is it the mouth and what do you usually use as a lure there? Does anyone have an opinion on staying at that campground? I have three small kids is it realistic that they can make the trek to the mouth if we have to. This is my only two weeks off for the whole summer so i have to make the best of it so once again any advice would be great. Thanks

We had a blast there a few years ago. The kiddies can make the walk to the mouth no problem, it's not very far. The campground has a history of theft so lock it up.

Default A little early for kings

I would say that would be too early for much of a chance at kings. There might be a handfull that come in but the majority come the 3rd week and after up there. Your kids could make the trek down to the fishing spots. If it was me I think I would go down to Crooked creek and stay in the campground and fish the Kasilof. Your timing would coincide with the peak of the first run of Kings on the Kasilof. Nice campground and easy fishing like the people hole. Just my two cents. Good luck!

I went for the first time last year, had a blast, saw a TON of kings caught........and wouldn't take any kids there. I don't know what weekend it was, but it was later in the year. Maybe June isn't so crazy up there? The time I was there it was crazy. People camp out on the spot they plan to fish and are pretty possessive about any inch of bank. If you get lucky and have someone let you in it's great. Or if you get there on thursday or a friday midnight opener.

Kasilof is more of a regular campground and pretty tame. Still crowded but not like Montana Creek.

Anybody got any help for him? anyone fish Rabidouex slough? Goose creek? Little su vs montana?

I would bet that down on the KP the early timing would favor the fish being there vs up the susitna. Still Anchor river number suck so far, and so do most rivers. I heard of good ativity at Ninilchick on another thread on here or AOJ.

Good lucks and I hope you get on fish!

Default More montana

when I got a spot to fish (15 minutes of actual fishing.......and three kings, one fair hooked and bright!). Everyone seemed to fish Montana with corkies, and yarn. Two small (1/2 inch or less) corkies, and yarn floated behind a sliding weight, or to a leader, weight, line type rig. Hook was about 20 inches behind wt. One good tip you can always count on, buy the very best hooks you can. It's a cheap rig so splurg on your hooks!!

I mean EVERYONE fished with that or a spin-n-glo type lure. A caster (think vibrax/Pixie) guy would have messed everthing up for everyone around them. Folks just plunked out the corkies about 25 feet, let the current take it to 11 o'clock and then let it sit there.

Everyone who responded is right on. This is a late June fishery. But if you want a bright fish you would have to do it in early June. It's just that there are not a lot of them to catch. They fish it there like the kenai/russian for reds. Combat all the way. I think you would enjoy yourself a lot more on the peninsula. Especially if there is a clam tide. And you can even maybe hook up on a Halibut charter out of homer. A lot more option down that way. However, I think the Willow Creek run is earlier. And they have a nice campground there as well.

Montana creek itself wont be open for King fishing that early. Its open the last 2 weekends of June and the first one of July. As for the campground, its a very nice campground. And being early for any of the salmon runs to be there in the creek. I would imagine the campground will be fairly empty. I have stayed there several times. Now I have a cabin near there. Last year, the kings didn't come up into Montana creek until the last day, on the last weekend. They were holding out in the big sue.

Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    ....This is my only two weeks off for the whole summer...
    Dude! You have GOT to change that work schedule...why do you think we work up here on the Slope anyway??? Hope you make the most of it.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Montana

Is actually open for kings through june 15, then goes to weekend only fishery like the rest of The Parks streams. I do agree however, the king fishing will be way slow to non-existent.

Smile

Thanks for the input i know i am hoping for alot as far as catching anything goes.If you guys could pick any place to take the wife and kids for 4 or 5 days and have a blast near a creek or lake or whatever where would you go? We are new to this camping with a trailer thing so i just dont know where to go and my wife is not the type to just head north or south and see what we find for campgrounds.We spent the weekend at rocky lake the other weekend and it was great caught some big rainbows and got to camp right on the lake so we had thought of going back there but would really like to get out and see some other places.So i am open to any and all suggestions.

We have raised our 4 kids with camping trips several times over the summers. We started out in a tent, heating bottles on a camp stove LOL. They are all teens now, but Willow is their favorite camping spot. Maybe it's just because it's where we've always gone and because we always meet up with folks we've met through the years.
    Hmmm...with the dates you need to go, it's gonna be hard to find kings.
    Willow Creek might have some, but they will be few and far between for sure.
    Klutina is another good spot for camping, but no fish for the dates you need. Scenery is beautiful and the sound of the rushing water lulls you to sleep each night. We really enjoy fishing for reds there.

We have fished off the docks at Valdez and there are a couple of nice campgrounds there.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson