Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly reel choice help

Default fly reel choice help

Well , I'm taking the advice of all that suggested I get something bigger than my 6 wt. rig . I found a nice used fenwick 8 wt. HMG 9FT. hope its a decent rod . Now I need some help with a good reel , do I need a large arbour reel for silvers and chum ?? And is there anything good in the 100.00 range or less ??

Look at the Lamson Velocity 3.5, which will fit nicely on a 7-9 weight overhead casting rod. You probably can find one in the $150 range and it's money well spent for a lifetime warranty with a good drag system. You may get by with something for less money, but a bullet proof drag is important for these fish that can go 15 plus pounds.

Redington makes a pretty impressive fly reel in the $100 range. Sportsman's Whse used to stock them. I haven't looked lately.

I love my Cimarron Large Arbors (Ross reels). A #5, for 7-10 wt rods, would stretch the 100 mark, but I would think you could find a number 4, rated 6-8wt, for maybe 140$...ish?....

I have had one in each size for about five years now and can't complain about either one...for whatever that's worth
    Last edited by Lastonefishing; 05-25-2009 at 21:45. Reason: inaccurate fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

Look at the Lamson Velocity 3.5, which will fit nicely on a 7-9 weight overhead casting rod.

Great advice given here. I have a few of these for my 7 wt outfit. Awesome reels. Get online and search around for good prices. Check Sierra Trading Post. A while back they had these reels for good prices. Also, Ebay may be an option.

Found the link to Sierra Trading post. They have the 3.5 for $199. Not cheap, but it may last forever. Well made reels man.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-Reel-V35.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

honestly you dont need much..you dont need a large arbor, they may be nice but hold less backing then a conventional reel. They do allow you to pick it up faster on the reel, but really, you can strip faster then you can reel soooo over rated option imho, they do look cool though . When I get charged by a fish, I start stripping line again, it doesnt happen enough to warrent a more expsenive reel.

Get something with a decent drag, that allows you to palm the reel (not the old pfluegar style where the spool pops INTO a frame, not on a frame with an exposed rim). Anything that doesnt have that A looking clicker drag. There are tons of great reels on the market that will serve your purpose. I was just at sportsmans last week and saw a couple that caught my eye. I didnt look for an 8wt size. I do have a 5-6l system 2 on some heavier rods and it works very very well..I also use it on my 3 and 4 wts and they work extremely well there also, but they do cost a few....

Chums and silvers are not huge, have enough backing and a stiff enough rod and you'll be just fine, doesnt have to be orvis this, sage that or top of th eline anything. Even those cheep reels will last forever if you take care of them, minus maybe the really piece of crap drag style, salmon WILL tear them up! I have my grandfathers old reel, definatly nothing fancy, it still works just fine.

Cabelas has a really good fly fishing cataloge and there are some reels in there in your pice range that will serve you extremely well!!!

Not sure what to go with , the Lamson sounds great but a little pricey , are the 08 models just as good as the new 09 models ??

I see cabelas has a Lamson Konic model (139..00) 8 wt. anybody have one , all the reviews are good .

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Not sure what to go with , the Lamson sounds great but a little pricey , are the 08 models just as good as the new 09 models ??
    I would say so. Mine were bought two years ago and I love them. Any changes would likely be for the better, but I doubt there is much difference.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I see cabelas has a Lamson Konic model (139..00) 8 wt. anybody have one , all the reviews are good .

Don't have one, but looking at them online, they look very nice. For $139, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer reel. Looks like a good value to me.

The Velocity is on sale on the Lamson website for $181. Looks like a good deal. Food for thought at any rate. One thing you might want to budget in is an extra spool. Having a sink tip on one spool and a floating line on the other is a nice combo and works well in many applications. Something to consider.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/closeouts.html

Default Ross Reels entry models...

the Flystart and Flycast, sold in "outfits" complete with 7/8wt line, 20# micron backing, and 9 ft leader for $90 or $115.
    http://www.rossreels.com/products/fl...eels/flystart/

These look like stamped, entry level reels from a great reel company. If the drag is anything like the smooth, powerful drags in their other reels, maybe I could live with the rest. If I truly needed to save some money for the actual fishing, I believe I'd look into these, the Redingtons (mentioned) and maybe Okuma.

Maybe you can look at Albright reel. The GPX is good reel, I own one 7/8 Wt and I am very happy with the reel. And the price is 99.99 You check this reel here for more info http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...fly-reels.html

Zee

I was just looking around online a bit since you mention being on a budget. I found this Reddington reel for $79 at STP. I had the model before this one (looks identical) and they were fine reels for the money. I got many silvers on mine and never had any trouble with the reel. I do notice it says "moss" at the description at the bottom. Guessing it is a moss color, unlike the silver one pictured. But for $79, this may be worth looking at. At this price, consider getting two. Not only will you have a back up reel if something goes wrong, but you will have a floating line and a sink tip. It is really nice to choose one or the other depending on where you are fishing, current, species, depth, etc...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...Mid-Arbor.html

Just found an image online of a "moss" Redington CD reel. Looks more like gold to me than the green I had envisioned when I read "moss".

Love the idea of the extra spool and different line on each , but there extra spools are a 100 .00 !!!!! Man this fly fishing is an expensive sport .

I've had good luck with Albright stuff so far, they have some pretty good deals too...
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

Other than that, I would go with a reel like Orvis Batenkill or BBA, one of the Sage reels, and most of the Ross reels are good too.

Love the idea of the extra spool and different line on each , but there extra spools are a 100 .00 !!!!! Man this fly fishing is an expensive sport .
    Go with Okuma, you can get a bomb proof reel and an extra spool for under $100.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Buy quality cry once!

I know I love good well made stuff as much as the next guy maybe more . I think its just all the stuff I need getting ready for my first trip to Alaska . I just got a bunch of fly tying stuff for the different patterns I need . Good rain gear ( goretex, expensive) , fly vest , waders , and the list goes on but alot of it will be used when I get back . It just seems like mentioned hear that the 100.00 reels are on the edge of good quality and the extra 50 or 80 really gets you in the better stuff .I wonder if the all machined alum. reels are really needed , I agree they look great and are stronger but I'm sure that a 69.00 Albright would do the job , its a trade off I guess .

Reels for 3 - 6 weight rods don't have to be top shelf as they are mainly used to store line. When you go 7 or above, the drag system becomes more important and you pay accordingly. Get spooled a couple times and you'll wish you'd paid the extra $50. Lose a fly line and backing and it's a wash, plus the inconvenience! Everybody has their favorites, but get something that will hold up.

Best price going for a V3.5

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-LAMSON-VELO...lenotsupported

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast