Thread: Trail cam to catch baiting station destroyer

Default Trail cam to catch baiting station destroyer

I live in Ontario Canada and am having a problem with an bear outfitter. Pretty much every inch of the province is assigned to an bear outfitter and since they can't expand and the money is sooooo good, they will do anything they can to drive the locals (me) off and use the site for their clientele.

Over the last 10 years, he has managed to drive me off half my (and my buddies) sites by cutting down our tree stands and destroying bait sites. I have caught him once but instead of having him charged, I opted for the police to read him the riot act, if he ever did it again. It stopped him for two years but he is back at it again, just more careful.

This year I have bought some trail cams in the hope of deterring him or catching him which leads me to my question.

Would you place the camera so that he gets caught coming into the bait station before he does something or would you place it so he may not notice it until after he has done something.

My option would be the first, so that he decides it is not worth the risk anymore, because I believe the second choice will result in a stolen trail cam or at least badly shot up.

What would you do and if you have a third choice, I would be glad to hear it, provided it does not mean going to another area, I have way to much invested.

I think your going to kiss some trail cameras bye-bye. He ain't a fool, he will either destroy them, steal them, or pour syrup on them. Your going to have to figure some alternate plan: "B". Hard to improve on a # 10 Can of "Woop'Arse".

why dont you get one of the attachments to attach your trail cam up in the tree, turn the flash off and put it a little ways away. You can get that netting camo and wrap around the tree, cut a whole in the material just enough for your camera.... its covered, no flash, you'll catch him.

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    why dont you get one of the attachments to attach your trail cam up in the tree, turn the flash off and put it a little ways away. You can get that netting camo and wrap around the tree, cut a whole in the material just enough for your camera.... its covered, no flash, you'll catch him.

So he is not smart enough to look for a camera.......? and so what if you have photos of him. He can say, yep....thats me, I spend a lot of time in the woods looking for abandonded bait stations. And if he is smart he will wear a ski-mask, or camo-head net when he comes in. Yes, Officer, "It looked abandonded to me". Then he opens a # 10 can of "Woop'Arse" on you.

A nice sign, "WARNING SET-GUN"

First of all I would use an infrared camera and therefore without a flash. In addition, you might consider a second camera focused on the first camera. Sure it is a risk that you might lose both cameras....but everything in life has some risk. I would carefully consider any physical confrontation as it might get real messy and who knows to what level it might get escalated! Be sure you are willing to take that risk and deal with potential consequences before you go down that road. Good luck on a satisfactory resolution.

I'd sit on the bait site every night, someplace where he won't see you. When he comes in and starts tearing ***** up take his picture and let him know your turning him in to the cops. I'd buy a cheap camera and attach it to a tree, when he tries to take it or he destroys it you've got him nailed for that too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if your using cameras, i would carry in a ladder and set them well above the norm looking down on the site. they have mounts just for such purpose. they MAY go less noticed. if hidden among the upper reach of the branches. .. NO FLASH as mentioned. no audible "click" either.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Eye for an eye

Start cutting down his tree-stands. every time he works one of your you work two of his. Just my 2 cents.

Drew

Default ladder

also, with a ladder, he may not be able to get into the tree himself to steal your camera. Set one to catch him entering your site, and another to catch him destroying it.

Then your other options: Bear snares are legal in some Canadian provinces- I'm not sure about pits and deadfalls, but some creative snaring might be successfull If he has a habit of cutting your trees, spike them. Its worked in the Pacific Northwest for the ecoterrorists-take a page from their book! Also, if you have positive proof of the outfitter stealing/sabotaging your site, post it. With his name, picture, and the outfitter's web address for all to see. The internet is very powerful- if you use it to try to destroy a business, though, be sure that your proof is very good.

Default Warning sign

Try just posting a sign that says, bait station monitored by video surveilance. Just the thought of a camera "hidden" somewhere might make him think twice or he'll spend alot of time looking for the camera. Also try typing into google "geocaching." There are tons of natural items out there for sale, like rocks, stumps, etc. that you could hide a camera in. But, I think a warning sign might be a cheap start.

SSS has solved a lot of problems over time
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of putting it a little way off and up higher in the tree and I may put a second one facing the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of putting it a little way off and up higher in the tree and I may put a second one facing the first one.

Please report RESULTS............

Default Bear trap

Put a bear trap out their..(if legal) When you see him walking around walmart with one leg in a week or two, just give him a wink.. If you see him at all.. Or dig a pit fall.. and camo it up. That guy will be so scared walking around in your area he won't come back.. A camera wont do anything, he will probably just deny that it's him, If caught red handed, their is no telling how far the guy will go. What happens in the woods, stays in the woods.. He may be that type of guy.. That would be bad..

Default Spend some money

Two cameras watching the bait. One watching the first two. And if you have any idea where he might be coming in from; dirt road or other trail put one there so if he is wearing a mask he might have taken it off by then, hopefully next to his truck with a license plate in view. I might even bait him in with an area that you know and place these cameras just so and let your station be known so as to trick him and see if he is indeed smarter then the bears. Post pics when you get this worm.

man, this is like a new version of The Most Dangerous Game, tryin to outthink this guy. could be sporting and satisfyinng if you get him!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Wanted Dead or Alive

Sounds more like the old Steve McQueen TV show to me. Wanted Dead or Alive with "Bounty Hunter" Josh Randall. Great old show.

For one of my sites (my best) that he cut down the tree stand one year and destroyed my pit another and I just refused to give up the spot, he has resorted to putting a pit 100 yds from mine.

Which gave me a wonderful idea and I told him so, in that I said if he feels it is fair game to do that, then I can do it to his pits. I do not think he believe me, because he still put people down at the pit 100 yds from me for two years.

So, the weekend of the 23rd of May, I went out to one of his sites, that I consider would be hot (I know where many of his are through heavy scouting) and put a pit 100yds from his and cut the trail and everything.

It will be interesting to see his reaction.

But I am kind of torn, I did it to try and get him away from mine and I hope to trade it in return for him giving up the one 100yds from mine but at the same time the outfitter baits for many more weeks before I do and if I just drop pits 100yds from many of his (because he set the rules) I can let him do the work for me as the bears he is attracting won't take very long finding mine.

Look at all the time and bait I would save.

That is very tempting but I know that if I can trade mine for his an stop the practice, that is what I will do.