Thread: Any Reasonably Priced Grizzly Hunting Trips?

Default Any Reasonably Priced Grizzly Hunting Trips?

Anybody know of any reasonably priced guided/unguided grizzly hunting trips, packages, accommodations, recommendations etc?

everything i have found so far has been in the 7k-15k range per person...

I am ideally looking for a local to meet up with and learn from, that will not rake me over the coals money wise in the process...

thanks in advance.

Default Grizzly Hunt

Sir, just a friendly reminder, unless your an alaska resident you MUST have a guide for Brown/Grizzly, Shep and Goat.

Default Griz hunts

Just move to Alaska and wait 12 months...you'll surely beat those prices!!!!

I appreciate the responses, I was not aware that you could not as a non-resident hunt brown bear unguided...

I lieu of that; can anybody recommend any reasonably priced guided brown bear guides?

thanks in advance.

Get with BRWNBR on this site, he is the man when it comes to brown bears. Black River Hunting Camp is his guide service and his name is Jake.

Heres a link to BRWNBRs website Black River Hunting Camps

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    I appreciate the responses, I was not aware that you could not as a non-resident hunt brown bear unguided...

I lieu of that; can anybody recommend any reasonably priced guided brown bear guides?

thanks in advance.

Roughly what is reasonably priced.....? In your opinion....? And what would you be willing to give up to lower the price......?

Default reasonably priced

I just did a kodiak brown bear hunt and 7 -10 grand would be reasonable in my book. Think about what the guide has to pay for before he makes a pofit gear, flying in a camp, liability insurance, state licences, food cost of getting to where you chater. I spent several thousand on my trip and I live in ak.

I would be interedted in a break down of the costs. I think that those prices are high but thats me. I have planned my own hunt for this fall. I at first asked dumb questions but found the search button and did some home work and feel very confident in our trip. My costs have been my personal gear,plane ticket to Anchorage, bush plane and license. I don't think a guide covers any of that. They provide a good location(able to pre scout and know the area), base camp(tent,food), maybe one other person who will cook and help with meat recovery. provide additional info on how to tranport and prepare your trophy. So bascily your paying for there knowledge and the states requirement for a guide. I think some one could make a good living just tagging along on a do it yourself hunt and only provide pointers and meet the states requirements. Basicly hands off. They (the State) don't want a bunch of yahoo's gettin into trouble. So the $$$ would be well spent for some people. I mean if it was me I would want an experienced guide helping me track a shot bear in the alders. The help would be priceless for a green horn. many people would not persue these animals if the guide was not there. So I see the need. Just wonder about the upper end $$ on these hunts. This is purely an outsiders perspective.

Say a guide charged ten grand a bear and took ten hunters and ten bear from his area,$100,000 minus 10% for his helper equals $90,000 then taxes so figure he makes $70,000. Of course then theres that extra insurance plus his equipment purchase and up keep so figure he has $50,000. Guess we might bring in the fact he has a wife and three kids and lives in the most expensive place in the U.S. and we see he could get by maybe but probably needs a part time job

This can be debated all day. The only way we would know is if a outfitter came on here and posted exactly what there break down is and that ain't gonna happen nor would I want them to. They can charge what the market will "Bear" get it. . I think the original post is just wanting a hunt for the average guy not a doctor from the lower 48. On your numbers though the gear you have of $20,000 is way high. This stuff is used season after season. Thats part of the income. I don't care how much the guy gets paid. He earns every penny putting up with some hunters I've seen. So back to the question. Is there a cheaper hunt for this guy? Or is Brown bear just dang expensive.

Insurance and yearly/hours plane inspection/work eat up most of the twenty. There are plenty of guides here but then if you post info folks argue the point with you

Default Brown Bear Hunting

Try Chris Carr
    Portage Creek, AK

AK GUIDE SERVICE.com

One man deal, I shot a bear last week with him.
    LK

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Insurance and yearly/hours plane inspection/work eat up most of the twenty. There are plenty of guides here but then if you post info folks argue the point with you
    If you figure plane then it could be more than 20. That can get spendy quick.

Default Reasonable price?

Not really sure what your question is. To me, reasonable is charging fair market value for a product. In this case that product is a guided bear hunt. If fair market value is 10-15k, then anything which is within that range is "reasonable." If you're looking for a "cheap" hunt, then to me that would mean anything at the bottom end or below the current fair market value.

One thing to remember about good guides is that most have no problem filling their schedule, and doing it at fair market value. Since they fully book at fair market, there is no incentive to discount their price. So when you choose a guide because he offers the "cheapest" hunt, you run the risk of hiring a guide who has to offer the cheapest fare in order to book hunts. Why? What is he giving up on the hunt in order to make it cheaper? Maybe nothing. But in guiding you often do get exactly what you pay for. I won't say the most expensive guide is the best, if the cheapest is often the worst. The equation doesn't work that way.

I'd suggest putting together a priority list, in what you want out of your hunt. Size, hide quality, trip locale (remote, fly in, road system, draw only, etc), trip length are some of the things. These all factor into how much the hunt will cost you.

I don't know if any guides do this, but some businesses will have a "cancellation backup list." If one of their scheduled hunts cancels last minute, the non refundable deposit is still theirs, but the guide suddenly has 2 weeks with nothing to do and no guiding income. You may be able to propose to a few guides to act as a fillin for a last minute cancellation, if your schedule is such that you can leave at the drop of a hat to go hunt.

Good luck with your hunt prep!

"Say a guide charged ten grand a bear and took ten hunters and ten bear from his area,$100,000 minus 10% for his helper equals $90,000 then taxes so figure he makes $70,000. Of course then theres that extra insurance plus his equipment purchase and up keep so figure he has $50,000. Guess we might bring in the fact he has a wife and three kids and lives in the most expensive place in the U.S. and we see he could get by maybe but probably needs a part time job"

No offense....but generally when folks talk about how much an occupation "makes" per year, they don't deduct the taxes off the top. Also, you are not talking about a yearlong occupation, but rather one that is very busy for a rather short period of time. Not trying to say guides don't deserve/earn what they get, but your scenario doesn't really have what I presume to be the intended affect.

Except for the big cities I would say most Alaskans don't have a year round job other than keeping the family fed and housed. Fact is much of the time you can hunt plains game in Africa cheaper the Brown bear in Alaska

Default a spam guide's side

I just can not help myself to post something besides a thanks to larry for the kind words.as a guide who lives in the area were he hunts and lives yr round.the cost of liveing is far greater then any down south-gas went down 20 cents this yr so only 6:00 something this yr.i see guy's come and go and some don't even say hello,charging the big bucks,for hunting the same game i do.grant it i don't have a plane,probably should so i could charge more,don't have the newest stuff,probably should so i could charge more,but then again not as good in fixing the new crap as the old in the middle of nowhere.i think the post from jake about his spring hunt and how things were in the big buck camp was sums up my feelings toward the BEAR MARKET out in my neck of the woods

Hello Sir,

I understand that you are looking for a grizzly hunt, rather than brown bear. This is the largest difference in pricing. As one other fellow said, you are not assured of having the best when you pay more, but your odds certainly get better. The better guides are typically booked in a year in advance minimum, but sometimes have last minute openings, and you are running late already since most interior guides are shutting down already.

I recommend you contact the Alaska Professional Hunters Association for suggestions and then contact the state of Alaska Big Game Commercial Licensing Board support, asking if they have complaints on file for the guide. Google will help you find the links. The pricing you noted is the normal range. If you need more details, PM me and I will be glad to help.
    Last edited by Alaskanate; 05-30-2009 at 03:47. Reason: wrong words...

It is easy to get to the end of the Guiding Season and end up with $100,000.-- in your pocket. All you have to do is start the season with $200,000.-- and don't damage any aircraft. Don't have horses that eat year around.