Thread: Are starfish edible?

Default Are starfish edible?

Coming home from fishing last night my youngest asked me if you could eat starfish. I had never thought of them as a possible food source.

Are the starfish found in Alaska waters edible? If so, how would you prepare such a creature? Is it even legal to harvest one.

A google search got a mix of answers and lots of sexual innuendo. Just wondering if anyone here has some first hand knowledge.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Note to self- Pay attention to which browser tab you are using to make a post.

Should be in the general fishing forum. Sorry about that.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

knowing what i know about starfish, I would say NO they have some serious acids in the stomach, I wouldn't waste the time anyway .. of course you CAN eat them at certain times -- but these times are unknown for the most part..(not worth the effort.)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

First people started flyfishing for bass, now starfish! What's it going to be next?

I believe that Andrew Zimmern who hosts a show called "bizarre foods" on the travel channel "tried" some. It was hilarious: he was in China and out comes some random food including starfish legs placed like sun rays around the perimeter of one of the dishes. If you've ever watched the show you know he goes for the most "bizarre" first and does kind of a play by play as he chews away. So here goes Zimmern on the star fish legs right of the bat: "gross, " inedible", so on and so forth. As he's was having an extremely difficult time with the starfish and trying figure out how people could possibly find any joy in eating a starfish, much less chew them up (mind you this guy will eat anything) the waitress comes back and sees him watery eyed trying to choke down these star fish legs, she kinda laughs and informs Mr. Zimmern that the starfish are for looks only, and not to be eaten... Now back to 9'6" 8wt.s and Mickey Finns.
    Last edited by cw76; 05-26-2009 at 17:07. Reason: spelling and info