Thread: new guy looking to buy a jet boat!

Default new guy looking to buy a jet boat!

Hi everyone, My name is Brian and I'm from a small town in Pennsylvania called Perryopolis! I just started a guide service on the Youghiogheny River(yock-o-gay-nee) I have a 16/48 Sea Nymph with a 50/35 Evinrude Jet. The first problem is, with a couple clients in the boat she won't get up on step. The second problem is, I need more room! The third problem is,all the boat ramps in my area pretty much suck and the water is too shallow in the summer to get anything bigger than my 16 fter. off the trailer. There is one ramp thats half decent but its a good ways from the places i guide! I'm looking for a NEW jet boat that will handle 3 or 4 guys through a shallow ROCKY RIVER! That will float fairly shallow as well! I would like to have in inboard jet like a Jetcraft or Compeaus but I can't afford the hefty price tag that comes with them! Are there any other inboard jet boats that are more affordable and meet my needs! Do you guys think that the inboard is a better choice than a outboard? I would greatly appreciate any input you guys have to offer! Thans in advance and I love your site!

Brian Gilmore

Default wooldridge?

i know that the price is not to much less than that of the boats you mentioned but are supposed to be pretty nice and love shallows.

Default Have you looked at RiverPro?

Hesitant to harp my wares here, but you asked a specific question.

176 HiPro Boat, Motor, & Trailer Package $23,900

• 17'6" All Welded Hull
    • 190 Bottom Thickness
    • 71" Bottom Width
    • 6 Degree Deadrise
    • 100 Side Thickness
    • 28" Side Height
    • 92" Beam
    • Delta Pad / Full Reverse chine Bottom Design
    • Boat & Eng Wt 1450#
    • 28 Gal Fuel Tank
    • 18" Swim Platform
    • Sprayed On "Bed Liner" Decks & Flooring
    • Bow & Stern Lights
    • Bilge Blower
    • Auto & Manual Switched 500 GPH Bilge Pump
    • Horn
    • Safety Eng Stop Switch
    • Tachometer, Volt, Fuel, & Tempature Gauges
    • 12 Volt Power Point
    • Aprox Speed: 50 MPH
    • 200 HP OptiMax Sport Jet
    • Light Weight, Powerful, and Fuel Efficent
    • Shorelandr Trailer
    • Equi-Load Bunks
    • Bunk Glide Sliks
    • Powder Coated Finish
    • LED Lights
    • Bearing Buddies

The River Pro is in my price range but I never really heard anyone on here mention them! Does anyone have any input on the River Pro Boats? I would probably be interested in the 20 ft. model! I would have to use the one decent boat ramp and make the run to my fishing spots. what do you guys think of them?
    edit: what are your opinions on outboard vs. inboard?
    Thanks...Brian

Since you are in PA you might look at the Shoalrunner. It's Made in Missouri for shallow rocky rivers. They have a website just Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for a NEW jet boat that will handle 3 or 4 guys through a shallow ROCKY RIVER! That will float fairly shallow as well! I would like to have in inboard jet like a Jetcraft or Compeaus but I can't afford the hefty price tag that comes with them! Are there any other inboard jet boats that are more affordable and meet my needs! Do you guys think that the inboard is a better choice than a outboard? I would greatly appreciate any input you guys have to offer!

Brian Gilmore
    Brian-
    I assume you've looked at Rock Proof & Snyder? Both are located in PA near you. Rock Proof offers an Sport Jet & Tom Snyder is thinking of doing so.

Another Missouri inboard is Gator boats.

A new player in the Sport Jet market is Beaver Tail Jets outta Maple Lake Minnesota.

Brian,

I own a Thunder Jet Denali and love it, but it's a multi-purpose sport jon with 28" sides which would be difficult for landing smallies. I bought it for year-round use because it has a fully enclosed cockpit with heat/defrost ( I'm getting soft ) and can heft a 4 wheeler in the bow. If I was a strict fisherman chasing smallies, Kevin's Lo Pro looks sweet. I met several people this Spring who own them and speak highly of the boat, and Kevin. Both the Denali and River Pro have Mercury Optimax Sport Jets and do a great job. As far as inboard vs. outboard, the Mercury Sport Jet package has less power loss than an outboard jet...a 200 hp Merc Sport Jet is rated at 180 hp at the pump, which means fuel efficiency/economy. Kevin can speak on this better than I can. Also using the Smartcraft Gage I can get my fuel burn down to 5.8 GPH on step. Both can be seen on-line " riverpro.com" and " thunderjet.com" . Best of luck with your search.