Thread: CWT Recoveries for Chinook Salmon... Bering Sea and other bycath area's.

Default CWT Recoveries for Chinook Salmon... Bering Sea and other bycath area's.

With this years unpresidented jack return of spring chinook to the Columbia R. It only seems fitting to look into why the jacks are coming back strong to the Columbia R and not the adults. I fear that bycatch is minor problem and poor ocean conditions in the Bering Sea and N Pacific are the main problem. The CWT recoveries clearly illistrate where these fish go in the ocean.

One thing ty to clear up on an otherwise great post. Those salmons tags were obviously recovered by observers on commercial fishing vessels IMO. Paid for by commercial fishers. Also those southeast ones, I'm guessing were turned in by hand or powertroll. However they were recovered I noticed the pattern is all along the shelf (in areas heavily fished). So somehow those maps are related to commercial catch either directed of as bycatch.)

Salmon of course are spread around the Pacific and Bering and not just centered in those areas like the map shows. Just another example of data being hard to understand and use when it's not your field. (not directed as Ty as I think he's spot on on it being oceanic conditions that are to blame. ) However, all bycatch needs to be reduced as it sure can't hurt. A lot of fisheries are involved in some change recently, from pollock to salmon.

*before someone says it while those tags may have come from salmon either directed or as bycatch.......Salmon bycatch is known. Gulf of Alaska vessels take the majority of their observer coverage during pollock, and then the data is bootstrapped to account for unobserved vessels. Bering sea is almost a lock on how many are caught. (as in the NMFS reported numbers are very, very good in the Bering sea.)
    Last edited by Akbrownsfan; 05-25-2009 at 18:39. Reason: needed clarification.

good link on all catch levels of everthing in regards to federal groundfish.

http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/2009/2009.htm