Thread: woodstoves

Default woodstoves

I found a woodstove at an antique store, I didn't get a chance to look at it too closely, it didn't have a price on it either.

On the way home the thought crossed my mind that maybe I ought to go back and pick it up for a small cabin I plan to build. When I go back to take a closer look, is there anything specific I should look for while making a decision to buy it? I plan to use it to heat a small 14x16 log cabin. Anything I should stay away from?

It doesn't take much stove to heat a 14x16 cabin. So size doesn't matter unless the thing is too big. That said, what I would look for one that is heavily built and can be closed down partially and completely shut down. By that I mean air tight when every thing is closed up. Check the door seals as well as the seams. A gasket is a good thing and can be replaced if needed. Beware of "cutsie" looking stoves such as a volzanger (sp??) as many of them are not tight. The reasons that you want the stove to be tight are that first for safety you want to be able to completely shut it down, And secondly, you also want the fire to be able to hold through the night. A leaky stove is a real pain to feed. Don't worry they'll generate plenty of heat but you'll be filling it every couple of hours or less. You want that stove to hold fire for a minimum of 6 hours (I like twice that time) without being tended.

If this stove was a old stove it will probly not have gaskets on the doors, nor will it be a tight stove. It will not take a very large stove to heat that cabin, generally the smallest stoves on the market will handle about 600 to 900 sqft. If the stove is cheep the chimney will probly cost as much or more than the stove.

The smaller the stove the less burn time you will get from it because of the amount of fuel you can put in it.

You can generally get a cheap but decent lowend stove from home depot in the fall if you are looking for a little cabin stove that is what they call airtight.
    good luck

Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Leavenworth Wa.

Talking Fairly cheap....

When your talking good heat and safety...don't cut corners.Go buy a quadra-fire, and be good for your life time.I have the smallest they make in my cabin, and the largest they make in my shop.I just finished putting next winters wood up, and with little over 3 cords, I'll have wood left next spring.I only heat 475 sq ft in the cabin on the main floor, but burn 27/7 from late oct to end of may.I have recieved some great advise in my life, but the stove and my stihl MS-361, has to have been some of the best.GR

Default the

Has any body used one of these? They look very efficent. A different approach to all others. http://stoveworksusa