Thread: Don't Forget....

Default Don't Forget....

Don't forget to put your plug in before you launch your boat

Took this picture in Homer last weekend at the boat launch. The woman who launched the boat admitted that she must have forgot to put the plug in. She was quite bummed when the harbor master would not let her cut the ropes and drag it to shore. He said a diver would have to attach airbags and re-float it.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone and thanks to all the Vets and current Armed Forces for doing there part to protect the USA.

Default fortunately

that usually only happens once!

Default Bummer.

That's a harsh lesson to learn the hard way! I've forgotten mine numerous times, but always on the river boat. Now I have a wife to remind me to put it in.
    They must have parked a ways away from the launch for the boat to have enough time to fill and roll over.
    BK

Now that sucks !!!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

wow, that definately sucks. i may need to make a dummy note by the ignition, not because im forgetful, but the penalty of forgeting is pretty steep.

Default Or high water alarm ?

Or add a high water alarm, use a Auto Bilge pump switch and a back up alarm. Set up off the bottom by 12" so when the water gets to 12" (or what ever) the float sets off the alarm. Simple & Cheap, yes they make them you can buy I know.
    I did the same thing with a tempature switch when the temp of my motor gets to 210 F it sets my alarm off.

Unhappy plugs????!!!!!

When you leave the plugs out on a 26" Hewes Ak. Sea Runner the automatic bildge pump kicks in and a friend turns on the other bildge pump. The pregnant daughter leaves the boat in a hurry as her feet are getting wet and the son-in-law and friend locate one of the spare plugs and a rubber glove and plug the holes. Once both plugs are in every one gives old Dad a very bad time, all day. I remind them that they have all fished with me for years and they all know that each one of them was told by me to ask if the plugs are in before we launch. It was a rookie move I hope to avoid in the future. My boat, my responsibility, my bad, etc. I do have a little check list that I go over due to the fact it is easy to forget something that is needed. In my experience a small problem caused by not remembering something often leads to more bigger problems.

Default Extra plugs

I have extra compression plugs all over the boat. I have 2 loose in the bilge, one in the splashwell, one in the tool kit, and one under each front seat storage area. I have also instructed everyone to ask, "Is the plug in"? I try and remind them that they are supposed to ask.

I thought long and hard about whether to use the threaded plug that screws in from the back or the compression fit ones that can be used from or back.

Because I trailer the boat I went with compression and remove it when trailering to make sure the bilge stays dry. I can pull it when on step if I ever needed to remove water from the bilge. I usually insert it from the front of the transom in the bilge so it is not sitting in water all the time. My bilge has always stayed dry to date. I have a switced bilge pump and plan on adding a second pump to a high water alarm circuit so it will activate along with the alarm. I have both the flip compression and the screw tight compression and as I said I have a bunch. My fear is that the pin or nut will corrode and come apart releasing the compression. That would make for a bad day if the boat was unattended. In theory my bilge is sealed with a screw in inspection plate. So also in theory if I left the plug out I would add an extra 5 gallons af water and no harm. I have no desire to test my theory.
    Last edited by Tolman24; 05-27-2009 at 13:46. Reason: typo

Default What about the fish box drain?

Launched first trip last year with the plugs in... but the fish box drain open (Hewes 26). Fiancee standing there holding the boat while I parked. Fellow boater walks by a couple times as the bilge pump is working diligently, and water is now seeping above the deck. Fortunately he had a Hewescraft similar model, and knew how to shut the valve. Whew!! Very embarrassing. As we say in many professions, there are those who have, and those who will. Got the box drained on the step, and went on to a wonderful bear hunt. Hope I'm full-on into the "those who have" column now, never to return to the "those who will."

Chris

.338Mag,

It must be a tight fit, with you and the family in a 26" boat! I couldn't resist!

That's a real bummer about the sunken boat in Homer. I used it as an example while assisting in a boaters safety class today.

Default checklists

Checklists are great tools to reduce the chance for error. I made several for myself including one to prep for launching and one to prep for trailering. The pre-launch checklist has about 16 separate items. The pre-trailering checklist has about a dozen items for the boat, and half a dozen things to check on the trailer.

First, accomplish all your preparations by memory. Then, run your checklist methodically from start to finish. If you discover an omission, correct it and start the checklist again from the beginning.

Make it a habit to always run the checklist before you back down the ramp or pull on to the highway. Checklist are quick, they're easy, and they work!

Man I see that every year. It has happened to me too. It really sucks. Luckily mine was in a river and didn't sink all the way up to the motor. I unloaded my boat tied it up and went to park the truck. Got back and the water is up. Both bilge pumps are going.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    Checklists are great tools to reduce the chance for error. I made several for myself including one to prep for launching and one to prep for trailering. The pre-launch checklist has about 16 separate items. The pre-trailering checklist has about a dozen items for the boat, and half a dozen things to check on the trailer.

First, accomplish all your preparations by memory. Then, run your checklist methodically from start to finish. If you discover an omission, correct it and start the checklist again from the beginning.

Make it a habit to always run the checklist before you back down the ramp or pull on to the highway. Checklist are quick, they're easy, and they work!

Any chance you would want to share your checklist? I have a memory list I go through but I would like to see some real world examples as i work to prepare one for this boat.

On my old lake boat from my early years it was easy. Gas? check, beer? check, extra beer? check. List over. Time have changed in the last 30 years.

Default checklist examples

Tolman24: These are my current revisions. I modify them periodically trying to improve them when I can. Different boats, or different operators may need a substantially different checklist to operate safely.

Pre-launch Checklist

Note: prepare away from the ramp

Fuel quantity..... planned burn plus reserve
    Drain plug..... installed
    Boat registration..... aboard
    Repair kit..... aboard
    Required emergency equipment..... aboard
    Gear and supplies..... loaded (note: this varies according to the kind of trip)
    Ignition key and kill switch tab..... inserted
    Bow and stern lines..... secured and ready
    Anchor and rode..... secured and ready
    Fire extinguishers..... installed
    Push pole..... ready position
    Canvas..... rigged
    Battery selector.....1 or 2
    Tie-downs..... removed (except winch line and bow safety chain)
    Trailer lights..... disconnected
    Surge brake selector lever..... "backing"
    Waders..... on
    Life vest..... on
    4x4 drive and 4L..... engaged

Prepare for Highway Checklist

Note: prepare away from the ramp

Drain plug..... removed
    Battery selector..... off
    Impeller bearings..... greased
    Ignition key and kill switch tab..... removed
    Gear, supplies, and emergency equipment..... removed
    Canvas..... stowed
    Tie downs..... connected and tight
    Winch strap..... secure
    Bow safety chain..... connected

Trailer Inspection:
    Trailer lights..... reconnected
    Coupler connection..... checked
    Trailer safety chains..... connected, crossed, not dragging
    Runaway-trailer brake actuator cable..... connected to hitch
    Surge brake selector knob..... "tow position"

Default Thanks

Great lists. I am going to swipe them for my starting point. I always try and do a walk around the trailer kicking the tires, double checking the tie downs, etc after I pull out of my driveway. One walk around I found that I forgot to lock the hitch to the ball. That could have been real bad. I felt like an idiot but not as bad as I would have if I hadn't caught it.

What are impeller bearing and why do you grease them before towing?

Thanks again.

Default Impellor bearings...

They are used on O/B jets in the jet unit. It is just a grease zert you should pump up till clean grease comes out of the tube. Recommended after pulling boat out of water.