Thread: Bowpickers and family?

Default Bowpickers and family?

Hello all,

I'm considering buying a bowpicker gillnet boat to be used as a part-time gillnetter and part-time pleasure boat. I've fished commercially before, but never in one of these rigs. They're appealing because they're cheaper than comparable sternpickers and and faster too.

I'm curious if anybody else has tried to use one of these for sport purposes and how it's worked out for them. I imagine it would work well for hunting trips and possibly halibut fishing, but I'm concerned that it wouldn't do well with kids (i/o diesel too loud?) or trolling (getting it in the wheel?) for that matter. I'd be selling my other boat, so want to know if the new one can accommodate the family.

Any suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

Get a boat with the house on the pointy end I own a bowpicker since i gillnet in PWS, great rig for gillnetting but it SUCKS for any other fishery and it think it would really be bad for sportfishing because your always out in the weather when your anchored, no cabin to hide behind, rain/wind always in your face, they drift weird with the house on the stern and i'd be REAL careful about the engine package. I'm assuming its a volvo diesel w/duoprop drive? Those units are margininal for pushing loads of fish/weight and in my experience are somewhat beat when the rig is put up for sale. If you have any questions give me a call and if the boat is in the pws fleet i might know something about it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks

Potbuilder, thanks for the info, I sent you a PM.

I hear these power combos with Volvo duoprops can be a pain. Anybody know how much a rebuild or sterndrive would cost for one of these boats? In the long run, is it more cost effective to go with a straight screw than a sterndrive given the choice?

Thanks guys,

Default Send a PM to AKNIMROD

He has one of these he recently put alot of time and effort into to convert from a fishing boat to a pleasure boat. I'm sure he has an opinion on them as well.
    Of course he's probably out in the Sound...
    BK

need a duo prop outdrive? I know where there is a 2 yr old drive....first the drive gave up, so replaced*the eng gave up 2 years later so then he replaced everything......so.....the drive on the floor is REAL fresh, the eng ran on 6 of 8 when it came out.........

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Potbuilder, thanks for the info, I sent you a PM.

I hear these power combos with Volvo duoprops can be a pain. Anybody know how much a rebuild or sterndrive would cost for one of these boats? In the long run, is it more cost effective to go with a straight screw than a sterndrive given the choice?

Thanks guys,
    A prop,shaft & transmission will outlast a outdrive any time in my book.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

BKMAIL- HE DID PM ME.... AND I DO HAVE AN OPINION.
    BUT IT WAS CONVERTED WITH LARGER CABIN WHEN I GOT IT, STILL WORKING BUGS OUT OF IT AND IT'S GETTING BETTER. FOR THE SIZE OF MINE I LIKE THE DESIGN AND WHAT IT WILL DO BUT IT IS TOUGH GETTING USE TO A BOAT 10 FEET SHORTER AND 1-1/2 FOOT NARROWER, I HAVE NOT BEEN IN SOUND YET THIS YEAR, ROCK SLIDE AND WIFE GETTING TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT HAVE CAUSED ME STAY CLOSER TO HOME THIS SPRING . I HAVE PLAYED ONCE IN MY JET BOAT INSTEAD.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Enjoying mine

I picked up an aluminum bowpicker style boat with twin outboards at the end of last season and we have had it out half a dozen times this season and are enjoying it. It was a water taxi out of seward so no commercial deck gear means lots of deck space. We use it half for fishing, half for running to trailheads across the bay homer. My wife is a more of a fairweather fisher so we don't tend to sit in bad weather to fish.

Just got the Electra-Dyne mounted on it this weekend, Steve! Hopefully drop some pots this summer.

PM me if you want I'm not on the forum very often, also not checking email too much this week.