Thread: Costco Has Dipnets

Default Costco Has Dipnets

Costco on Dimond has a good supply of the 5 ft diameter salmon dipnets. Nice design.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

DeBarr Costo has them too. Nice nets. Cheap too.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hev'eee

I checked out that brand last year. (I hefted them.)

They are really heavy compared to the Aluminum ones you get from that, (??? I forget the name.) welding shop at Sterling. Also, the ones with the blue frames that B&J sold.

I'm sure they'd work fine, and I think I recall seeing them fishing. BUT, be warned, they would be a bigger chore to use, and pack to the beach, if that's an issue with you.

To each his own. I just love to see the jobby-do s, that people make themselves. Some are really creative, apparently using whatever was available. They all seem to catch feesch too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Lol, Smitty, i actually didn't buy one b/c of that!! I'm not sure if I can make one for under $119, but I'm going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Lol, Smitty, i actually didn't buy one b/c of that!! I'm not sure if I can make one for under $119, but I'm going to try.
    One of my goals this summer is to build a dip net that cost less than $100, i think i can do it.

I looked at the nets at the DeBarr Costco, they were $130. 4.5 ft and the net hoop was hollow tubing. I used one of Mike's Welding nets last year and the hoop was solid, oval stock. If Mike's nets are still $150 they are still a better buy.

Having said all that, I'm going to try my hand at making a couple this year.

For Kasilof/Kenai does anyone think squares are better than circles for the dipnet opening?
    I like a flat surface laying on the bottom. I've mainly used a really old octagon type one. Making one I think a square would be easiest/strongest.
    Just wonder if anyone thinks a circle would be way better and why.

Thumbs up Potential Convert

I was at Costco this evening as well and those nets definitely caught my attention and interest. But then I remembered last summer when I went dipping for the first time at the mouth of the Kenai and didn't care for the experience much.

Maybe it was because my buddy forgot the coffee and I got a severe headache from caffeine withdrawls. Maybe it was because I got stuck using inferior equipment -- a short handled net with a small opening. Maybe it was because I kept wading up to my neck in ice cold water and still couldn't net a fish. Or perhaps it was because the reds just weren't running very well and nobody was catching much.

It all added up to a miserable weekend, so on the drive home from Kenai I swore off ever going again. From that day forward, I renewed my allegience to the almighty rod and reel method of fishing (not harvesting).

But then I saw those dipnets at Costco tonight. They looked so good that now I'm seriously thinking about going back to buy one. After all, I've always believed in second chances.

By the way, I think these dipnets are different from the ones that Costco was selling last year. At least I don't recall them being as impressive. Definitely need to check the weight though. Thanks for the tip.

Default Round verses square?

The proverbial arguement. In my opinion, since I have used both, it really doesn't matter. A square seems to hold a little better in a fast current and if you are standing still only. They both catch fish if... they are running. It all comes down to druthers. To each their own.

Default Net color matters more on Kenai...

For salmon (not hooligan),

Handle length: Copper R: longer is usually essential. Kenai R.: Not so much. I've seen many fish caught on longer handled nets, but think it doesn't matter as much as we like to think. Kids (and others) often catch fish with their short-handled nets behind adults in deeper water --the fish swim the easiest path upstream and seem to me to often get closer to the bank as you move from the beach/inlet side to the river side-- often not the deepest water.

Big hoop vs small hoop: Copper R.: Small hoops better: Because of the current, big hoops make more work. A few members fishing the Copper might use a big hoop if fishing eddies ("Dipnetting-Lessons Learned" thread), but if I ever fish that river, I'll take a smaller hoop net. Kenai R: Big is better.

Net color: Copper R: the chocolate milk color/opaque water makes net color less of an issue. Kenai R: Clear or pale green nets seem to work much better. Black nets consistently much less productive. Our first dipnetting trip, we bought "dipnets" from Freddie's in Soldotna, only to watch others catching fish while we went 0-fers. We took the net back, re-geared with pale, translucent green nets with much better results. Any black net I've seen fished at the Kenai mouth since has had similar results.

Akbrownsfan: shape doesn't matter so much to me, but because I fish a round net, once in awhile it's seemed to me that if I find a shallow gulley to rest the bottom in, the spot has often been more productive. Not a big point to me though. Big hoop and net color (on Kenai) matter lots more.

Kenai current: On the Kenai, where folks more often fish big hoops, the current at tide change picks up enough to become an issue sometimes. The nets from Mike's Welding (Soldotna) described by .338-06, seem to shed the tidal surge well because of their design, heavier handle material and the solid, oval stock in the hoop. If I was going to buy another net, I would buy one from Mike or similar net. They do cost more.

All my experience is on the Kenai, beach more than boat, but a lot of good dipnetting pearls posted in the Lessons Learned thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31211

Good luck this year.

I make a rectangle hoop a few years ago and did fine with it. Then I tried a friend's octagon hoop and did better. Maybe the rounder shape gives you more surface area. This was used in the Kasilof.

I net from a boat, so I can't speak about working from shore. The round nets allow for more hoop size, a rectangluar net can only be 3'x4' with 5' on the diagonal or 12 sq feet. A round 5' hoop has 15.7 sq feet. A square net 3.5' gives you 12.25 sq feet while still being legal.

I bought one at Dimond Costco yesterday--$114.00. Not sure why they would be $16.00 more at DeBarr, unless it's a different net. I'll try to post some specs. and pix this weekend.

I just picked up a rectangle net from B&J's over the weekend. They had round ones too. I prefer the flat bottom too. B&J also has a new T handle with 2 bars... feels real comfortable!

Default Nets almost gone at Diamond Costco

I bought one at Dimond Costco today - there were only 3 left when I left. Amazing considering how many there were less than 5 days ago. The quality seems fine and the price was nice @ $114

Default bigger is better

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I net from a boat, so I can't speak about working from shore. The round nets allow for more hoop size, a rectangluar net can only be 3'x4' with 5' on the diagonal or 12 sq feet. A round 5' hoop has 15.7 sq feet. A square net 3.5' gives you 12.25 sq feet while still being legal.
    But also consider that the Kenai sockeye see obstacles well and attempt to always swim around same. Yeah, sometimes they mess up and swim right into your hoop or leg, but pretty much mostly they swim around.

So consider your hoop a dead zone of sorts for catching because they'll try to avoid it, and there's a sweet spot in the center of your net where they can't really see they're swimming into a trap. You compute 1/6th more area of hoopage in the max. size round net, but in addition this sweet spot area difference is even larger than that.

Bottom line: Round is bigger, and bigger is better on the Kenai

can anyone confirm if cosco still has nets?

costco on Bragaw never ran out from what I could see each time there

Powderhound, I see you're from the valley, three bears were selling the same nets as costco for a few bucks more. Might be worth buying local and not driving to Anchorage.
    Paul