Thread: Loving My new Kimber Montana 300WSM

Default Loving My new Kimber Montana 300WSM

Here is the link with pictures to my most recent and second trip to the range with my new Kimber Montana 300WSM.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...page=0#1063692

Guys this is one bad little rifle!

Default 180 TSX load in Kimber 300WSM

Alaska Cub,
    Impressive groups congratulations!
    What load are you using for the 180 TSX's in your Kimber Montana? I have a Montana that I'm in the process of breaking in, and it didn't shoot the factory loads (Federal blue box,) I was using very well at all. It was earlier in the summer, temps were much warmer, but I also experienced what I thought might be pressure signs. The bolt lifted a little stiffer than I thought it should considering these were just factory loads. I also have some Winchester 180 Accubonds, and some Federal fusion to try out, but if the groups you posted are from handloads, I'd sure like to check out that as well.

Thanks!

Default TSX's

Alaska Cub,
    I just read your other (earlier post) on the Barnes Triple Shocks. I see you were using Federal Premiums with the 180 Barnes TSX's. Too bad, I was hoping that you had a handload using these bullets. Oh well, I'll just have to start working up a new load.
    Thanks anyway, and good luck with your Kimber!

zim698, so far I have shot Fusion 165's (for break in) Federal Barnes 180 MRX's and Winchester 180 Accubonds all of these will shoot 1.25" or a little better but the Federal Barnes 180 TSX's is undoubtedly the most accurate of the factory stuff I have tried. I mean 3/4" to 1" groups at 225 yards, I am not sure I could handload anything that would shoot too much better than that. I am definately pleased.

Default TSX's

I agree that it would be tough to beat that kind of accuracy with a handload. I'll be giving that factory load a try. I was just hoping to duplicate something close to that, as I have a couple of boxes of the 180 TSX's on hand, and wanted to save a few bucks. Thanks for the info!

Default Kimber 300wsm

Quote Originally Posted by zim698 View Post
    Alaska Cub,
    Impressive groups congratulations!
    What load are you using for the 180 TSX's in your Kimber Montana? I have a Montana that I'm in the process of breaking in, and it didn't shoot the factory loads (Federal blue box,) I was using very well at all. It was earlier in the summer, temps were much warmer, but I also experienced what I thought might be pressure signs. The bolt lifted a little stiffer than I thought it should considering these were just factory loads. I also have some Winchester 180 Accubonds, and some Federal fusion to try out, but if the groups you posted are from handloads, I'd sure like to check out that as well.

Thanks!

I also bought a kimber montana in 300 WSM and had the same thing happen to me. I was shooting 180 gr federal accubonds and noticing some stiff resistance when lifting the bolt (like pressure signs) just as you mentioned. I then started handloading and testing my owne loads with winchester brass and the problem went away. I think that the federal brass is maybe somehow more prone to causing a hangup with the kimbers or something maybe. I finally settled on 180 Gr barnes MRX's with 67 grains of IMR 4831 and fed 215 primers at 3,050 fps and 1 1/4 " at 100 yrds I was pretty happy. I love the rifle and it is definately a joy to carry compared to some of my other lunkers.

You know its weird so far the ones that caused the sticky bolt lift the most was the Federal loaded Barnes MRX's, the TSX's have not done it once and I fired a whole box off on that last trip.