Thread: Sitka kings?

Default Sitka kings?

Anyone know how the king salmon fishing is in Sitka? Too early yet?
    Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
    Anyone know how the king salmon fishing is in Sitka? Too early yet?
    Thanks for any info.
    Heard a few rumors that it was rather dead in Sitka for kings this last week.. Things change with the big tides though.

Default It is pretty slow in SE

I just came up the inside passage. The rumor is that is is going to be a good run just late. I fished Ketchikan, Port Protection, Kake with little luck and even the commercial guys were not getting many. I then went out to the Elfin Cove area and it was still slow there, although I did see a few get caught. I did get some halibut though, the largest being 90lbs and some ling as well as some rockfish we could not avoid. Elfin and the Icy straight area are incredible this time of year. We saw tons of humpbacks, porposes, sea lions, sea otters, etc and some killer whales. I am now waiting for the ferry in Juneau and they are getting a few kings here but it is still slow. See you guys on the water in a few weeks. After 3 weeks on the new boat and 140 hours I need a break!

Jim

Default alaskafisher

The king fishing is just now starting to improve. 4 kings by 730 am

Default Sitka Fishermen Struggling

It has been really slow for Kings in Sitka - for both sport fishermen and the commercial trollers. Their Sitka Derby returns have been very low this weekend for both wild stocks and hatchery fish. The Hatchery people are predicting a relatively good King return to the Medvejie facility this spring and as was stated above the building tides could change things over there in a hurry. I'm sure hoping things pick up soon for all of the Sitka-area fishermens' sake. ;-]

Default KoneZone is coming to town.

I decided to help support the some of the SE Alaska King Derbies this year. I chose Petersburg, Ketchikan and Sitka. I fished in Petersburg on Friday and a half day Saturday. It was slow and we fished in and around hundreds of other boats. I did get to see a 59.8 pound White King just before flying to Ketchikan Saturday afternoon. WOW it was a treat to see such a beautiful creature.

The next morning I made my way out to Knudson Cove Marina in Ketchikan. They supplied me with a 14' Skiff and I fished hard with 3 Sea Bass/ Rockfish for my efforts. The following day I fish the afternoon with Captain James for a couple of hours. I landed 2 shaker black mouth kings and released them.

Reports are the top King in Ketchikan thus far is around 39 pounds.

I arrive in Sitka Tuesday evening and will be hoping to hitch a ride to go fishing this weekend at the derby.

Meeting with both Murray Pacific and Orion Sporting Goods on Wednesday and will be clear for fishing through the weekend.

So far it's fish 100% - Me 0%

I hope the Sitka King Salmon powers smile upon me.
    If anybody wants to take me fishing email me,
    konezone@konezone.com

Thanks, Mike