Thread: Black Bear hunting around Valdez

Default Black Bear hunting around Valdez

Wondering if anyone could give me some info on hunting around Valdez. I planned on hunting from a 14 ft Zodiac around the shorelines. I do not know when the best week would be or where to go. I am not looking for anyones spot just a general direction where to go. I am not new to bear hunting but have never done it on the coast. Thanks

Your Zodiac will work fine just watch the weather reports and be careful. Anytime from now till the end of season will be good. Head out to any of the bays and hunt any areas that have new grass, fiddle heads, or skunk cabbage popping up and you should be able to find a bear. Mornings and evenings are usually the best times to look for them but some of them are out and about all day long so if you anchor up somewhere be sure to take a look around every now and then.

Good luck!

You're hitting it about right on time. What's already been said plus try on the North side of Valdez bay (right side leaving valdez) between Shoup Bay and the start of the narrows before the mid-channel bouy. Steep climb but you shouild see several. Early am late pm. Keep in mind (and I say typically) around 3pm winds will kick up through the narrows...but not always. Galena Bay also but...might not have to go that far.

Watch for native land around Galena. Good luck.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for the info. Do you spot the bears from the boat and then make the steep climb to were they are at. Or can you not see them untill you make the climb. Also are the hides usually rubbed out the last week of season June 5-10. I might not make it down there untill that week and I am afraid of everything being rubbed out. Thanks again and I will let you know how I do.