Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purington Trail/Boulder Creek

Default Purington Trail/Boulder Creek

We rode this trail two weeks ago and then again yesterday. The trail is in good condition. All mudholes are passable. A bit more mud this time than two weeks ago- they must have had a recent good rain. When we pulled into the parking lot, there was a heavy black cloud hanging over us (we started noticing it at Kings River) and we thought we might be in for some rain, but it blew the other way and we had sun for our ride. We rode clear up boulder creek valley to the start of Chitna Pass.

Has anyone here done Chitna pass? Would it have been passable this time of year? We're interested in doing the complete loop to Pinochle.

Some jerk had parked his truck on the trail and was camped right in the trail. We made it clear going through what we thought of that as we're squeezing past his truck. He had left by the time we came out and left a bunch of garbage. He'd also left a receipt with his name on it and I've half a mind to report him. He was not an ATV rider, just apparently someone who felt a need to pitch a tent and drink a bunch of beer and leave all his cans in the firepit.

Other than that, the only people we even saw on the trail were about 6 separate off-road trucks and one other ATV rider. Have to say I'm surprised more people don't ride on Purington, but it doesn't hurt our feelings to be away from the crowds.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Please turn him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Please turn him in.

+1..............................................

It hasnt rained up there yet, but they did get some snow last week. I suspect the added mud is a result of the ground thawing.

Default Report the guy

Report him. I don't know to who, but at least report it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Some jerk had parked his truck on the trail and was camped right in the trail. We made it clear going through what we thought of that as we're squeezing past his truck. He had left by the time we came out and left a bunch of garbage. He'd also left a receipt with his name on it and I've half a mind to report him. He was not an ATV rider, just apparently someone who felt a need to pitch a tent and drink a bunch of beer and leave all his cans in the firepit.
    I would have taken pictures of his "campsite", license plate, vin # and anything else to tie him to his little mess and found someone interested in writing a citation.
    EricL

Was it the new trail head? The old one by the bridge is all private land. Either way, pictures would have been great. I hate seeing people leave garbage all over.

Pictures would have been good but we didn't know he was going to leave his trash until he'd already split. There were two vehicles there, and I actually do have the license plate to one of them.

I'm not sure on "old trail" vs "new trail". I haven't seen a bridge. We use the trail that goes up off the right side of the parking lot. We know there is one on the left, also, we've just never used it. I've never seen any "private property" signs and the trail is very well used and no cabins...hopefully we have not been trespassing. We always stay on the trail.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Gotcha, I couldnt think of any decent camp sites where someone could park a vehicle in the trail, except at the old trailhead by the Purinton creek bridge on the Glenn. Now I know where you were! Seems an odd place to camp. Rude, too. The trail to the right is much better than the one on the left, and they both come out at the same mud hole. So you dont miss out on anything by taking the other trail.

This thread sound's like a bunch of "new to the state" people talking to a bunch of "new to the state people"!

Go there during moose season if you want piece and quiet!

We gave this region up most of 10 years ago due to similar incidents as your describing. I've seen fist fights along the trail, one year we had the troopers up there with helicopters, ATV's etc. looking for some jerk that took a poke (9mm) at the game warden who was checking license!

There's days I wish you had to pass some sort of compitency exam to get thru Canada!
    Mike

Why? They'd just fly up........

I lived a couple miles from that trailhead back in the 80s. I dont even pretend to go hunting out there anymore. During hunting season I call it 'camping with guns'.

That comment actually surprises me as each time we've been on this trail we've found it to be the least crowded and the most polite (barring the camper from this weekend) of any trail we've been on. Kings River and Permanente seem far more likely to have people problems. The guy from this weekend struck me as a city guy that wanted to pitch a tent and drink some beer and not walk more than 10 feet from his truck to do it. Why people like that don't stay home is beyond me. Not to mention he could have tossed all those empties into the back of his truck as easily as into a firepit.

Default Purinton

I've been on the trail a lot also, both ATV and on foot and haven't seen any problems w.r.t. trash or other things. It could use some maintenance as the larger mudholes have the newbies carving new side trails which just makes a bigger mess of things.

Were you the guys we met up with just before the rocky part of the trail? I was the guy driving the OD green buggy.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

That was us!

We liked what you had done to your truck, btw. Very cool. Do you guys access the trail from the parking lot? We were wondering how you fit through some of the narrow spots on the trail.

We park at the pullout along side the highway, is that the parking lot you speak of?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Yes, we use the big pullout just up the hill from Wiener Lake. Not sure on the mile marker. I've heard there is more than one way to access the trail system, so I wasn't sure which one you guys used.

I've seen the two trails that head south off the first little ridge line you travel across, I always assumed at least one of them leads the the "lower" parking lot I keep hearing about.

Default Thanks...

I have a cabin on this trail. Im glad to see that you guys are helping to keep the trail clean and keeping the "riff raff" out of there. My neighbors and I do a lot of work to keep the trail clean and maintained. Unfortunately thouugh, the trial is only going to get worse. One of my neighbors passed away 2 years ago and he had a bulldozer that we kept the trail maintained with. Now its only shovels and saws for branches to fill in holes.
    Anyway- thanks for helping to keep the trail clean and rideable.. It helps when I have to haul in heavy loads to my cabin.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast