Thread: Little Willow creek

Default Little Willow creek

Anyone been down the Little Willow? I want to test run the new raft and heard that might be a good river to run. Looking to fish along the way. Any sweepers, jams, etc...? Raft - self bailer Aire Super Duper Puma (PAC 1400) . thanks.

Default not yet

I am going to run the little willow on Saturday. I have not been down it yet but have talked to a friend that lives on the little willow and he stated it is a very tame float and it has a lot of bows that can be talked iinto eating leaches, wolly buggers and the likes. I have done the willow 4 times this spring. It has a few strainers and a good size log jam at the half way point. The log jam is the only real problem and it can be easily lined if your not comfortable on the oars yet. I had a few nice rainbows on this weekend but lost them. it catch and release only so i figure i just released at a distance.

Thanks for the update. I heard the Little Willow takes about 12 hours, so I think we will float the Willow instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post
    I heard the Little Willow takes about 12 hours,
    the little willow doesn't take anywhere near 12 hours...it is a very tame float...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Little Willow is a 4 hour float maybe? The bottom end SUCKS as it is just flat water for a mile and you just have to row yourself along until the big su

Default hmm

can you take a drift boat down the little willow? or should i bring the cataraft? Ive done the kenai in the winter several times with low water and obstacle courses.. never really floated the parks highway streams. Where would i put in and pull out if i wanted to target rainbow trout? any info would be great
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    can you take a drift boat down the little willow?
    yes

Where would i put in and pull out
    put in at the hwy, take out just below the Willow off the Su

i wanted to target rainbow trout?
    if you wanted to target rainbows, the Little Willow would be one of the last floats I'd suggest...
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the info on the time required to float the Little Willow. The Willow was blown out on Thursday due to all the rain, but still a fun float. We found PIKE in one of the sloughs.... I was wishing I had a shot gun to blast them. Pike in the Willow is about as bad as it gets.

On a seperate note, I didn't think there was a take out for a drift boat the Willow parking area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post
    We found PIKE in one of the sloughs.... I was wishing I had a shot gun to blast them. Pike in the Willow is about as bad as it gets.
    holy crap....that is bad news...I have several hundred days on that creek and never saw a pike, but I guess it was bound to happen....what part of the creek did you see it in?....Hopefully the willow proves too fast for the pike to live in....
    pull my finger....

Default Shirleyville Raod Bridge

Shirleyville Raod Bridge to add distance go to here and put in, should add some excitment. To bad you can get to the steps above there anymore.

the pike were in one of the feeder creeks on the left as you head downstream (right near a large slack pool). It was a slow slough and they were doing fine in the slack water. There in the Susitna, so any river in that system is vulnerable. I'm headed down the river tomorrow and hope to reomve as many as possible.