Thread: Questions on Zodiac Style Inflatables

Default Questions on Zodiac Style Inflatables

Hello all, I have a few questions on buying/using a Zodiac style inflatable. My level of experience with boating isn't much, but I would like to learn. I am looking use it to get around some lakes to save walking, motor up rivers to access other hunting areas, etc...Some of these questions may be "stupid", but I'll ask anyway. What brands are worthwhile as I hear about Zodiac, Avon, Achilles, and others? What are the capabilities of the boats? How is the learning curve to adequately use these on Alaska lakes/rivers? Are there any good books that would help me learn? I assume that when buying an outboard, you should be buying a short shaft motor? I appreciate any help/informations folks choose to give.

Thanks,
    Moose44

The type of boat you are looking at is one of the better ones to buy for a beginner due to the fact that they don't sink as fast as other, but they will still sink. They are generally built with at least three air chambers in them so if you puncture one you can make it to shore and repair it with the patch kit that comes with it or the one you should by before taking it out. If you are planning a lot of river travel, then go with a short shaft and consider a jet unit. These boats come in multiple lengths and will determine how much weight you can carry. If you are not going to be using it in white water conditions then I would suggest getting one with a hard floor. If you choose a longer length then you leave yourself the ability to venture out in to bays and inlets on the calmer days. Check out the Coast Guard office locally and take a couple boating and navigation classes before you go. It will be a big help. Good luck.

Default Beginner or Experienced

I used a inflatable 16'Zodiac's and 18'Achillies, but had a 14' Motormar which did fine. The 18' went on every river I could launch to, lakes easy money and 55 miles out of Whittier. so for a one boat fits all they do good. Open and not as warm. The 18' had a 25 SS was built for long shaft, so I cut the transom down. My 25 Honda would push it at 12 to 15 mph and would go 80 miles on 6 gallons of gas, rated at 3200 pounds with a 65hp on it.
    Upgraded only because wife wanted to go more to a fiberglass cabin type. I mis what I could do with it, but like the comfort now too.
    Excellent pick, there are some who will say no way, but the USCG will come rescue in one!

Default Thank You

All, thanks for the responses. Does anyone know of any books on the subject that may be useful as well?

Thanks,
    Moose