Thread: Spotting scope on a budget

Default Spotting scope on a budget

Hey guys I'm looking for a spotting scope, But on a budget. Not looking to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks. Does anyone have a good suggestion?
    This will be my first spotting scope so what are some things to look for?

Thanks in advance

Default Spotter

Check out the Alpen in Sportsmans in Anchorage, wasilla is out of them now, I believe they were just under $200 with the small tripod too. I thought about getting one too. and leaving the zeiss at home. they had them set up on the counter.

See if you can find a Nikon Spotter XL or XL II. They can be had around here and on ebay for about 2-300. Or a Burris "Spotter" or Bushnell Elite. They are all about the same but I think the nod goes to the Nikon.

Default Instead of...

going on the cheap, try lay away, & buy quality that will give you an edge, & cost less than buying on the cheap over & over again, when you could have "invested" in the first place...if you spend $1200 once, instead of $200 3-6 times(hypothetically) in your lifetime, you'd have yourself pennies on the dollars savings, buying something that will last...

I agree with the Spotter XL it is definitely more money but it is a quality scope and it's unique shape and packability make it a go to scope for many sheep hunters even if they can afford much more costly glass. Keep an eye on Ebay and craigslist and you will likely find a better deal than you may expect

Forum Sponsor

We still have both the http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...ortexsandpiper Vortex Sandpiper 15-45x65 and the http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...pecial20-60x80 Vortex 20-60x80's on sale, your choice only $199.99. We have sold hundreds of each with great feedback
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

I was in this same delima. I went and looked through the feed back on Cabela's. Most people are very honest when buying items. I found some that was pure junk. Others had great reviews. I ended up with a Burris. Had around 37 reviews and had a very good score. But do some digging. I found the same exact scope on ebay for $100 cheaper. I got it yesterday actually and it came with the scope cover and tri pod. It was very clear and looks great for the $$

Default Burris has Lifetime Warrenty

HIGH COUNTRY™ SPOTTING SCOPES

Burris has always believed a sportsman shouldn’t have to spend a week’s pay for reliable spotting optics. New High Country Spotting Scopes reflect that vision. In the practical 15X-45X-50mm and the potent 20X-60X-60mm models, both new High Countrys have handsome and stealthy rubberized, waterproof exteriors and sharp, fully multi- coated lenses. An integrated lens cap on the slide-out sun shade keeps away dust and is near-impossible to lose.
    $140

Default Go with Doug

You should work out a deal with Doug at Cameraland. I don't think that I have heard of one unhappy customer. He, Neil and the other folks at Cameraland are five stars. Look at the stuff locally but he will find you the best possible optics.

I would look at his best deal and then get the one one price level up from that. You will be plenty happy.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Forum Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words. The best deal going on a budget is the Vortex 20-60x80mm for only $199.99, http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...pecial20-60x80
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by horse2292 View Post
    I was in this same delima. I went and looked through the feed back on Cabela's. Most people are very honest when buying items. I found some that was pure junk. Others had great reviews. I ended up with a Burris. Had around 37 reviews and had a very good score. But do some digging. I found the same exact scope on ebay for $100 cheaper. I got it yesterday actually and it came with the scope cover and tri pod. It was very clear and looks great for the $$

I am guessing that you bought a Burris High country scope? Have you had it out in the field yet? What do you think of it so far? I am also on a tight budget and a decent spotter for that much cash would be great.

Just be sure to check the field of view. I have a Vortex Nomad (straight) and like it, but really have to work at it to get a full field of view. Somehow is just doesn't line up right for me. Great scope, nice and clear, and for the money I can't complain. However, I wish I had spent a little more and got something with a greater field of view... And angeled...

Default Whatever you buy...

Be sure to buy a waterproof scope. If it isn't waterproof, it is JUNK at any price. Been there, done that.

Doug offers great stuff and I have had excellent experience with the Nikon XL II, also.
    They are on ebay right now (kit) for $269 new.
    Great buy.

Default Waterproof doesn't equal quality...

by a long shot, I have a pair of binos that are waterproof & I bought them thinking that they were quality & they didn't last two seasons! I tried to return them & the company wouldn't take them back...so don't try to equate waterproof with quality...

Quality, with regards to optics, comes at a price...