Thread: Kicker and Zodiak Outboard recommendation..

Default Kicker and Zodiak Outboard recommendation..

I just bought a used 10' Achilles. As it turns out the placard is gone so i was not sure what kind of motor i could put on it...

I am also planning a 25' Aluminum boat w/ a 200HP Honda (Already have it)

The question is there a motor i could use to power the achilles and use as a kicker for the AL boat?

THanks in advance...

Default sure you can

But the difference will be between your raft should really have a short shaft 20" motor and on your boat, you'll most likely want a long shaft 25". If you put a 15 to 20 horse on the raft you'll scream around just fine, and it'll work fine on your boat, the only difference is, with a long shaft on the raft, you'll have some splash. Should be fine for most of what your wanting to do though unless you want a high performance raft.
    Tony

Smile shaft lengths

Shaft lengths are 15" short shaft, 20" long shaft and 25" extra long shaft. The raft needs short shaft but for a kicker you need a 20" long shaft. You can run the long shaft on the raft but draws my water. You need two engines if you want to put one on the raft. Maybe a 2hp short shaft.

Default kicker

I would go with a 2hp for the dinghy, like Fathom said. Tossing around anything larger could mean disaster. I wouldn't want to try to install my 20hp kicker on my rubber duckie unless I was beached. I had no problem hanging both kickers on the back of my extended transom, and easy access to the 2hp.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

I would say go with 15 hp it is trickier putting it on and to avoid disaster i always had a rope tied to it and to my big boat when getting it on and off the dingy transom. (ALSO ALWAYS USE ROPE TO SECURE OB TO TRANSOM A FRIEND LOST A 4HP MOTOR WHILE TOWING HIS INFLATABLE) SOMEONE ELSE HAD PUT IT ON THE DINGY FOR HIM...NOT ME I ALSO HAVE AN OLD 4HP KICKER I USE ON THE DINGY IF IT IS JUST A SHORT TRIP IT IS EASIER TO USE THAT BUT I DO NOT ALWAYS BRING IT. i had a 10 footer with 15 HP 2 stroke it was great now 9 footer with 9.8 short shaft 4 stroke and it will not get up on step with 2 adults very well if at all but did work marginally as kicker for my 24 ft bowpicker , 3 knots. (for 5 hrs) down to 1.7 against tide coming out of a cove. had to lower the mounting bracket to get the thing to run better worked previously but would cavitate off and on ....unless one of us was standing on swim step.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER