Thread: Ninilchik River, 23 May

Default Ninilchik River, 23 May

Just fished Ninilchik river by the bridge going into the old town...nothing.
    Seen 2 guys at the cleaning tables with kings, guessing about 30lbs each, said they caught them at the same place with green yarn.
    My son and I tried for a for a couple hours and we saw at least 10 other people throwing lines without success.
    May try Homer "fishing hole" tomorrow with high tide.
    Still trying for that elusive 1st King for us but for now consoling myself with my 3rd Stella Artois, "ppffftttt....ahhhhhh!!!
    Wish us luck.

I was down working on the boat and drove past the hole and stopped a few time....didnt see anybody catching.....call the folks at the sport shed for info....good luck....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default BoneYardbaits

if you seen a guy with a leg brace and a kid that was us.
    Where is the sport shed? What is it?
    Thanx

its the tackle store accross the street from the fishing hole........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Sorry to hear you didn't hook up

Hey Chuck,
    That's too bad you and your son didn't latch into a king under the bridge.After razzin you about not being able to go clam digging with that brace on your leg I was hoping you'd at least get to dance with a fish for a while.Keep trying and let your little guy catch some too.Kids get soooo excited with any fish,especially one's bigger than they are.BTW I was in the silver F150 with the mini-drifter in back.Better luck next time

Default Ninilchik Opener

Fished Ninilchik starting at 3:45 AM with similar success. Had one hit and saw One Legal King, One Jack, and one snagged King kept all morning. The water is clear but very low and fish just arent there, as was evident by the fact that by 7:30 AM some of the better holes above the bridge had no people in them, and everyone I talked to coming down from up the river hadnt seen any fish caught. Maybe next week, I hope.

If the Anchor counts are any indicator of king returns to the lower peninsula streams, there ain't much for fish yet.

Eleven days of counting have produced only 15 kings.... that's an average of only 1.36 fish swimming by the counter per day.

Kenai is also WAY behind schedule.

Hope things pick up soon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    If the Anchor counts are any indicator of king returns to the lower peninsula streams, there ain't much for fish yet.

Eleven days of counting have produced only 15 kings.... that's an average of only 1.36 fish swimming by the counter per day.

Kenai is also WAY behind schedule.

Hope things pick up soon.
    Doc,
    Talked to USFWS and ALL the steelhead weir bounts where behind schedual.... That included Crooked Cr, Nicolai Cr... Funny R, and Slikok Cr.

Oh yeah, btw there are steelhead population confirmed now in Funny and Slikok.... Now I wonder how many mainstem steelhead spawners there are on the Kenai?

Bad news for Slikok Cr... First confirmed pike found at the weir too!

Default Ninilchik, Sat-Sun

I fished bright and early on Sat casting a Vibrax by the floating dock near the mouth after walking the river from the bridge down. I saw just one guy hook up with a small king out of about 20 total folks in that area in 4 hours. Fished for another few hours on Sun after clamming and nothing to speak of. This is the second straight year I've been skunked on Memorial Day weekend, and it looks like I'm not the only one getting skunked. Hopefully the action will pick up over the next 2 weekends!

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Doc,
    Now I wonder how many mainstem steelhead spawners there are on the Kenai?
    The last five years has shown many steelhead well above those tribs.

There was some good action underneath the highway bridge on Saturday morning before dawn. I managed to land a 25lb hen. We witnessed another guy getting them with eggs w/o a bobber. He landed a wild king but released 4 other wild ones trying to get his hatchery fish. Oh yeah.... clamming was good too..... what a zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post

Bad news for Slikok Cr... First confirmed pike found at the weir too!

Say it ain't so!

Perfect pike habitat. Another slow moving low-gradient stream about to bite the big one!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Saw one guy carrying a king up the dock yesterday when I was leaving from digging clams. Otherwise, didn't catch or see any others caught down at the mouth while I was there.
    Let's hope it picks up soon, I need a big oily king for the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Say it ain't so!

Perfect pike habitat. Another slow moving low-gradient stream about to bite the big one!
    I was wrong... Soldotna Cr is the video project that the feds have going where the pike was seen... So no big uprise there.