Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: reloading block for 45/70

  1. #1

    Default reloading block for 45/70

    I have the a reloading block but the holes are too small for the 45-70 cases.
    I want a reloading block for my 45/70 ,can anybody sugest one?
    Thanks
    Steven

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Loading block

    When I started loading for my 45-70, I made my own block. I took one board and drilled holes in it that the case would fit in. I then glued it to a larger base plate. Works great and it only cost a little of my time.

  3. #3

    Default

    I use a 20 gauge shotgun shell tray for mine.

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    I also make my own blocks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loquito View Post
    I have the a reloading block but the holes are too small for the 45-70 cases.
    I want a reloading block for my 45/70 ,can anybody sugest one?
    Thanks
    Steven
    I just picked up a couple from a Cabelas store I passed through last week, and I've seen them in others, so I'm assuming they're in the catalog. Mostly I have made my own.

    And consider getting two. One never seems to be enough for me, and making a giant one for 100 or so cases is too cumbersome for my bench top. The suggestion to lay out and drill the holes clear through one board, then glue it to another works best for me. Call me clumsy, but I find the holes to be too shallow if I use planed 1x stock. 5/4 is just right, but I usually make do with 2x stock (actually 1 1/2") when I can't put my hands on 5/4.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I just picked up a couple from a Cabelas store I passed through last week, and I've seen them in others, so I'm assuming they're in the catalog. Mostly I have made my own.

    And consider getting two. One never seems to be enough for me, and making a giant one for 100 or so cases is too cumbersome for my bench top. The suggestion to lay out and drill the holes clear through one board, then glue it to another works best for me. Call me clumsy, but I find the holes to be too shallow if I use planed 1x stock. 5/4 is just right, but I usually make do with 2x stock (actually 1 1/2") when I can't put my hands on 5/4.
    Thanks BB:

    There's an idea that I might use.

    I have two loading blocks from Sinclair, and they are deep, as well as fitting belted cases or 45-70s, I'm sure.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks BB:

    There's an idea that I might use.

    I have two loading blocks from Sinclair, and they are deep, as well as fitting belted cases or 45-70s, I'm sure.

    Smitty of the North
    You're welcome. One more bit of unsolicited advice. Watch the hole spacing and overall dimensions of the block.

    Unless I'm using loads close to max, I like to dispense powder directly from the powder measure into the cases, especially for practice or plinking loads. Once all cases are filled you can use a flashlight or good overhead light to inspect the cases and refill any that look high or low in volume. Handy.

    Make sure the cases are set far apart enough that you can slip them right up under the mouth of the powder measure without hitting the cases around the one you're filling.

    Also make sure that the loading block itself is no bigger than twice the depth of your powder measure stand. I've got an RCBS stand for my powder measure that's roughly 5 inches from front to back, so my loading blocks are no wider than about 10". (That's approximate, because I haven't measured recently.) All I have to do is fill all the cases on ones side of the block, then spin it around and fill the other side. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to fill 50 or 60 cases.

  8. #8
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    my white plastic block comes from midway, and is a daisy. cheap, and holds the cases with out wobble. check em out.
    happy trails.
    jh

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Frankford Arsenal has a set of them, numbered, and AI think it is #8 that fits the 45-70 rim. They are blue, rectangular and hold fifty rounds. That reminds me, I have fifty loads sitting in the loading block in the caliber. I need to go out and chronograph them this weekend. I think I have another block with some 376 Steyr sitting in it. My bench is a bit cluttered right now. I have a full set of these blocks and they will stack in a corner and are compact enough to not take up too much room on the bench, but I couldn't find any plastic slip top boxes for the 45-70. Anyone know where I can get any. Twenty or fifty round hinged boxes would be good. I'll look my catalogues over again, maybe they've stocked back up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Frankford Arsenal has a set of them, numbered, and AI think it is #8 that fits the 45-70 rim. They are blue, rectangular and hold fifty rounds. That reminds me, I have fifty loads sitting in the loading block in the caliber. I need to go out and chronograph them this weekend. I think I have another block with some 376 Steyr sitting in it. My bench is a bit cluttered right now. I have a full set of these blocks and they will stack in a corner and are compact enough to not take up too much room on the bench, but I couldn't find any plastic slip top boxes for the 45-70. Anyone know where I can get any. Twenty or fifty round hinged boxes would be good. I'll look my catalogues over again, maybe they've stocked back up.
    I use these.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •