Thread: Trigger Replacement

Default Trigger Replacement

I have a Ruger M77 Mark II left-hand model rifle, in 7mm Mag. that I've had for a number of years and would finally like to replace the terrible Ruger trigger. I have been looking at the Timney triggers and Cabela's seems to carry one that might work. Does any one have prior experience with replacing a trigger on a similar Ruger M77 Mark II? What did you replace it with and how do you like it? Any helpfull advice would be appriciated.

Before you replace it, have you ever had a good gunsmith work it over for you? I paid a local smith $40 and he turned my Ruger trigger into a clean breaking 3.5 pound pull.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe, can you pm me the name and number of that gunsmith please?

Thanks

Stan Jackson, Anchorage, 349 3854
    Tennessee

Default m77

i have the same gun, bought the timiney. not hard to install, just go slow when you hone the saftey. mine is great, certainly no need for a smith if you can use a screwdriver and stone.

Snowwolfe

No I haven't mesed with a gunsmith looking at it. Although, for only $40 is sounds like the better option. The trigger on my Ruger is not only a hard pull but has a lot of inconsistent creep and overtravel. Was this the case with yours as well? Was the gunsmith able to correct this as well or was he only able to lighten the pull? Thanks for the help.

I live in the Phoenix area and Timney is based there. I picked up a Timney for my .375 Hawkeye and put it in with ease. It's a great trigger and reasonably priced. I had no prior trigger replacement experience and it wasn't required.

I'd pay $40 admission just to chat w/ Stan! I have been to his shop once and he is a pleasure to deal with. I don't have much personal experience w/ his work since he was just rethreading a scope mounting hole in my receiver after S/W dorked it up. Make sure you have some spare time if you go see him, the best part of going to the gunsmith is talking with them!

I have taken my guns to Stan Jackson for getting close to 20 years. He is a good man, knows his craft, and is reasonable with his prices. Go see him and ask if he thinks he can get the trigger right on your Ruger...he'll tell you if he can't. If not, I'd put in a Timney. I've done so with a 700, and it was a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    Snowwolfe

No I haven't mesed with a gunsmith looking at it. Although, for only $40 is sounds like the better option. The trigger on my Ruger is not only a hard pull but has a lot of inconsistent creep and overtravel. Was this the case with yours as well? Was the gunsmith able to correct this as well or was he only able to lighten the pull? Thanks for the help.

Rifle is a stainless Ruger 77. I had Stan blueprint the action and install a Lilja barrel in .338 WM. He mentioned a trigger job (I was thinking replacement). I decided for $40 to go with his trigger job. Trigger breaks nice and clean with no inconsistencies at about 3.5 pounds. Although, the $40 was a few years ago, not sure of his current prices.
    Only bad thing about Stan is he will talk you into spending more money than you originally planned on
    Tennessee