Thread: Kachemak Bay Fishing in July?

Default Kachemak Bay Fishing in July?

I'm spending a couple of days on Kachemak bay in July with some friends from Soldotna. He's got a nice 21 foot boot, a new 50-hp engine, a new fish finder, and rods and reels. We're also planning on getting crab pots if the crabbing season is open. We've not done much exploring in the Homer area, but we're going to be staying overnight in a yurt near Tutka bay. Does anyone have any advice for when we're there?

Sterling, AK

I think tanner crab season opens July 15. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    I fished Tutka bay last summer a few times when weather was to lousy to get all the way out. Caught a couple of 45 pounders in no more than 50 feet of water. Good beaches for clams just around the corner in jacklof bay if the tides are rights.
    Also done well about a mile off shore straight out from Seldovia.

Default K-Bay Salmon

Thanks AK_B_B. I'm living in the Seattle area where it's easy to catch dungies and red rock crab during season. I understand the dungies are closed in Kachemack bay, but I've never caught tanners before. We'll verify the tanner season before my buddies in Soldotna get pots. We'll probably try for some salmon while we are out there. Does anyone know if the red salmon run is still strong in China Poot Bay and pinks in the Tutka Lagoon?