Thread: How many is a too many for a used machine

Default How many is a too many for a used machine

On a used machine how many miles is alot before thinking about buying one? When can you expect stuff to start going wrong? What are the expensive things that will wear out first? I just am looking for ballpark ideas.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I suppose it really depends on your budget.

Personally, after a machine has 1000+ miles logged I'd probably start looking else where unless the atv is in pristine condition. But on the other hand some people beat the piss out of there machines right from the get go.

Things that go out first:

Brakes - those are easy to replace though
    Oil seals - it's easy to spot a leaker. I've had leakers within a couple hundred miles
    Cables - water & crud can get in the cables which will make winter riding a pain
    axles & cv's - Jack the axle off the ground and see if there is any play in the axles, if so chances are a cv is about to go. Check the cv boots while your at it.
    Belts - When you test ride the atv mash the throttle from a stand still, if the belt slips it probably needs to be replaced. Of if the engine braking slips the belt is probably done for.
    Check all the oils for water - diff's, engine, etc.

That should be a good start. Anyone else want to add to this?

Thumbs up your on it...

depends on the age of the rider to ... "some of these young'ins ride it like there parents got it to babysit them, instead of doing there job...( i'm talking even 19 to 21year old's ). ive seen them get stuck in a mud hole and instead of whinching out /pushing out there riding buddys would take there wheeler and fly into the mud hole and "knock them out of it ..."kind of like pool"... check between the skid plate and bottom of motor and under the front and rear diff's its hard to clean in there...rust there = rode hard and put away for the winter wet. if u can jack up a side grab the wheel of choice at 9&3 and rock then at 6&12...any Play independent of the rest of the frame is a bearing about to go...how many oil changes? i sold a 500 qr with 2460 miles and was on its 9th oil change ..it ran like a Top . the guy i sold it to rolled it down a mtn out on the hot springs road. i still have my 91 300 byou 2x4 no speedo.. but a "millon" miles it never left me stranded and i still trust it today (yea i did some work to it, forward looking pre- mantainance NOT trail mantainance. happy riding .02 cent
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Depends on the rider/Riders , I buy new bikes every May and sell them in Aug . They will have 700 -1200 miles in 4 months ,And not riden hard. You can also get a 3 year extented warranty from Yamaha. So if your looking for a good bike let me know in Aug. . I have seen bikes that are a few years old that look like they are 10 years old and I have seen bikes that are 5 years old and look like they just came off the showroom floor.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    On a used machine how many miles is alot before thinking about buying one? When can you expect stuff to start going wrong? What are the expensive things that will wear out first? I just am looking for ballpark ideas.

Mileage is just an indicator of how far you have gone, and says nothing about how the machine was used. I have about 1,600 miles on my 05 Honda Foreman. I use the snow blade for pushing snow in the winter, and a few trail rides. If one had a snow blade on it, I would be extremely cautious. I am very careful about pushing snow because of additional wear and tear.

I would test drive the 4 wheeler to make sure it drives straight. Need to the tires have equal tire pressure. If if tracks straight, that is good, if not, then something is not right.

Lightbulb Miles

I have got a 98 425 Polaris chain drive with over 8000 miles on it. It's in great shape. But I take good care of it! Clean it, then grease everytime I take it out and crud it up.
    So it's not the miles, it's how well it was taken care of!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

I know a few guys that have over 5000 on there king quads and they run great. A lot of it is the maintance. I hope to get 5000 out of my suzuki.

It totally depends on how they have been used. A friend and I bought new machines 2 years ago. He got a Polaris, I got an Arctic Cat. He is very hard on his, I use mine, but try to avoid any unnecessary abuse. Mine still looks good and runs like new. His....not so much.
    My personal rule of thumb is that I won't buy a used ATV for my primary machine. For the kids to play with....OK. For me to go out hunting....no. I take care of mine, and when it is time to replace it, I'll get another new one....and the kids will get the old one.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison