Thread: Lynx in my driveway!

Thumbs up Lynx in my driveway!

My wife and I went out for sushi to celebrate the last day of school, and when we drove home around 9:45 we were shocked to see a lynx come trotting out of our driveway across the street right in front of my truck. Better yet, it then stood there in our neighbor's driveway for a good 30 seconds and then walked right up to their door before disappearing into the woods.

I've seen lynx far from houses before, but never one right in a neighborhood in Eagle River. Cool stuff!

Any other semi-urban sightings out there? It was enough to make me wish that I had a camera on my cell phone. :rolleyes:

Brian, cool stuff! Just moose and porcupine for us so far...

Congrats on rounding out the school year. Hope that thing wasn't in neighbors new landscaping :)

Brian, that's really cool. If you could send him over to my house, my daughter would love to spot a kitty cat. :D We have a larger critter with black hair and big teeth roaming our next of the woods. So far he hasn't bothered anyone.

Thumbs up

Brain M,

The great part of your sighting is that you have put in many, many remore trail miles...and then, when and where you might least expect it, you are priviledged with an "urban" lynx sighting.

I have a friend on the Anchorage hillside who also has had a credible lynx sighting in the yard.

...great place we live...

Dennis

Nice! Will ya send him over? I dug a new flower bed yesterday which took a few hrs. I went in the house o get some water and returned in less than 5 minutes ... a rabbit (SSH) was already in the bed! Sheesh! The owls, coyotes and lynx just can't keep up!

I worked in Denali last summer and saw 16 lynx, Mom with little ones was the highlight.

nice sighting Brian! I live pretty close to the bluff here in anchorage, kinda by kincaid....i see lynx sign every time i walk the flats, and i saw a really huge one on kincaid park road one nite....other than that the only place ive seen one in on the hillside.

Very cool, Brian. A couple years ago when we lived in Eagle River (Lucas Ave), our neighbors told us they saw a lynx in their yard one evening. But not us. Plenty of little bunny foo-foos, but no lynx...
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default While it was not in my driveway..

I was out on the pipeline right of way, about 30 pipeline miles north of Fairbanks in June, and I saw what appear to be a coyote in my rearview mirror walking on the drivelane. I nearly continued traveling away, but then decided to turn around to have a look. Upon further inspection, it was a lynx. The lynx sat down, and then lyed down in the driveland. I continued driving toward him, and he was not one bit concerned about my presence. I snapped a few pictures thru the windshield, then I jumped out of the pickup and snapped some more. In any event, I was about 25 yards from when I was taking the pictures, and again, he did not care about me.

It not surprising because there were quite a few rabbits around that area, so I suspect he was just waiting for a meal to appear. In any event, it was quite a treat to be so close, for so long, and to get good pictures on top of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 10-03-2009 at 20:24. Reason: fixing errors

now thats cool!

Default Very very cool

What a neat photo.
    Years back my son and I were bowhunting hares. He was a bit away from me when he called for me to watch him. I looked over and saw him walking slowly, looking over his shoulder.
    A lynx was tagging along like a puppy. My son walked a loop past me and I stood stock still. The lynx walked up to me and sat about 10' away, trying to figure me out. After a bit it got up and walked off the other way.
    Very exciting. And no, we did not get any hares that trip.

I had been living in AK about one whole week when my Black Lab spotted one right across the street from out town house off Lake Otis. I frowned wondering "what the hell is that?" then spent 30 minutes retrieving my retriever out of the green belt because he was sure he could catch it. He didn't.

ohh man, who would win that one.... well if the cat is 10x the size of a housecat, and my house cat routinely kicks the crap outta my lab, I'd say your lab got lucky not finding the lynx...lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default yep

This was back in the summer of 2005, but if I recall it was just a little smaller than my 70lb black lab. I expected him back shredded but the cat didn't want anything to do with him.

Talking Kitty cat!

3-16-2010 ..... Dog & i were hiking mchugh creek trail,tuesday, 1:15 p.m, happen to look up ahead as we made bend in the trail & saw him scamper up a cotton wood! Took picture with cellphone but it didn't turned out good. He looked not much smaller than my 1 yr. Old lab!! He was getting nervous & was going to jump from the cottonwood to an adjacent spruce so i gathered my dog and left. It was a b-e-a-utiful day! Ls

Default Properly throw regs. away.

I think this is another reason to talk about litter. I am convinced Lynx are very smart and have learned to read the english language. They have apparently been reading discarded hunting and trapping regs. and know when they are safe. So PLEASE forum members properly dispose of your regs. so that these close encounters will happen more during season.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Very cool, cabinfields! :)

I got to watch a coyote in my neighborhood two nights ago. He was on a side street that isn't very developed yet, standing right in the middle of the road. I drove down to him and he just hopped up on a small side hill and stood there in the sun, his eyes reflecting green in the late afternoon sunlight. He turned to go, but I remembered that I had a rabbit in distress call sitting in my glove box. I grabbed it and gave it a little squeek. Needless to say, he stopped in his tracks and turned back, staring me down for another 20 seconds. Very cool moment. :)