Thread: Gakona Flyfishing

Default Gakona Flyfishing

I'll be spending the summer in Gakona Jct and was wondering if there is any flyfishing for rainbows in the area, other than the middle/upper Gulkana.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 9FT6WT View Post
    I'll be spending the summer in Gakona Jct and was wondering if there is any flyfishing for rainbows in the area, other than the middle/upper Gulkana.

Thanks!
    Welcome to the Board, you can probably catch some in the stocked lakes along the highway. Or try Summit/Paxson lakes. Pick up the books "the Highway Angler," or "Fly Fishers Guide to Alaska," they are both good resources for fishing the road system.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Don't forget about the grayling. You will find some great grayling fishing between Paxson and Summit lake.
    I caught a six inch bow in the Tonsina but thats it. Your in prime grayling country so enjoy them while you are there.

How bout the Klutina? Never Bow fished there but it has a good Red and King run which tells me Bows as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    How bout the Klutina? Never Bow fished there but it has a good Red and King run which tells me Bows as well.
    The river has great runs of Salmon, it is where I get my freezer fillers. I've caught a dolly and a grayling in the lower end on salmon gear. I've heard that if you go up near the lake the Dolly fishing can be spectacular. I'm planning on taking my new ATV up there this summer. Having never actually went up that far, I cannot tell you for sure if it is good or not.

Fish On!

I have heard rumors of steelhead in the Klutina but just that, rumors. Never heard of any bows though.
    One way to find, give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I have heard rumors of steelhead in the Klutina but just that, rumors. Never heard of any bows though.
    One way to find, give it a try.
    Yeah the guides at the campground I stay at say that they can catch them along with silvers down at the mouth. Having never seen one caught myself means that it is also a rumor, but Groves charter guys said that they used to catch them alot when they were younger. According to the fish mapping on ADFG website, they do run up that high, but to the Gulkana and some stream that dumps into the Tazlina.

http://sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/surv...shSurv_ims.cfm

Fish On!

Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll get geared up for some fine grayling fishing this summer.

I've heard that the Tebay River has a fall run of steelhead. I think there is a lodge out that direction and/or there is charter flight service avab. That would be an awesome place in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by 9FT6WT View Post
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll get geared up for some fine grayling fishing this summer.

I've heard that the Tebay River has a fall run of steelhead. I think there is a lodge out that direction and/or there is charter flight service avab. That would be an awesome place in the fall.
    I've been scouting that same river for awhile now. That would be pretty sweet to get dropped off for a few days there. I've never tried putting the logistics of the trip together though.

Fish On!