Thread: Church Road

Default Church Road

Looking for good directions to the Church Road trail that leads up to the KB-29 crash site. I went up there last year and had a hard time finding the trail head. Want to be better prepared this time. It is a great trail and can't wait to get back out there!

Thanks,
    Dan

Take Church road to the end, turn left on Schrock. Go across the little su bridge and hang to the right. Continue for about 1/4 mile and you will make another right. The trail head is on the left. There is a gravel area where we used to park, but last time I was up there (last fall) there was a fence closing most of the old parking area off. The ditches are wide and shallow enough to park in though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks

You are the man. Thanks so much for hooking us up!

What a great day! The trail was in good condition for the most part but we were unable to make it all the way back to the bomber. There was just too much snow yet. The one big hill was a challenge but we all made it up just fine.

This sounds like a great ride! Does anyone have GPS waypoint for the crash site? Thx.

From the top of the "big hill" (you will recognize it ), look off across the valley to the north and the wreck can be seen just short of the top. To get to it with wheelers, you basically ride the rim of the valley and can walk down to it once above the site.

I haven't looked in a while, but I think you can see the wreck on Google Earth.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up google earth how cool

Thats cool mud never thought about google earth, thats right above my place. Now another one, did they ever recover the plaque the thieves stole off the crash site?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Not yet

the guys at http://www.alaska4x4network.com are raising money for a new one.
    If anyone knows about what happened to the original let those guys know.
    Anyone disturbing the wreckage or memorials shouldn't make it off the hill.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I was putting a new roof on my place and can see the crash site from the top of my house. They stole it when the price of copper was up so high last summer it's probably been destroyed and gone to china since then. I bet I could anchor that thing down and they wouldn't get the next one.
    Thanks for the link http://www.alaska4x4network.com I will definatly donate something towards it.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ