Thread: Lake Clark NP

Default Lake Clark NP

I want to take my buddy of 30 yr's on a float trip.
    Time is 5 days.
    Just want info for dropoff to catch fish,and not much hiking.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    I want to take my buddy of 30 yr's on a float trip.
    Time is 5 days.
    Just want info for dropoff to catch fish,and not much hiking.
    Thanks
    Sorry it will be in AUG.
    I also understand not manny go to this park....WHY?

I lived on Lake Clark, it has outstanding fishing. Why do you think it is not used....? There is no park gate.....? The Park managers have never encouraged it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I lived on Lake Clark, it has outstanding fishing. Why do you think it is not used....? There is no park gate.....? The Park managers have never encouraged it's use.
    How should they encourage it's use? Insisit that the air services, fishing lodges, and float guides charge less? It darned EXPENSIVE and simply not affordable to most people visit Lake Clark. I don't see how Park managers have much to say or do about that.

I don't know much about the fishing over there, but DO know that two of the more popular river floats are the Mulchatna and Chilikadrotna Rivers. In both cases you start in the Park and typically float outside of the park to your take-outs. I floated the Tlikakila once--great float but no fishing to speak of. Too swift and silty.

PS--Why Lake Clark in particular? Check out Karen Jettmar's book on floating Alaska rivers for tons of other possibilities.

I have fished Lake Clark and many of the surrounding lakes and rivers. It is probably the most beautiful area I have ever fished! I am afraid I can't give you much info unless it be with area lodges. There are several and I don't think this late in the season you would find many openings but my favorite would be with Rainbow Bay Resort & Lodge over the mountain to the South in Pedro Bay. They fly in there almost daily from their lodge. Great people!!
    Jerry

Default Not much for floats there

It's gorgeous but it's not known for it's floatable AND fishable waters.

However, anywhere west and south of there has options, and would cost about the same. I'd suggest the Togiak National Wildlife Refuge west of Dillingham, lots of nice floats with great fishing out there and there are lots of great float plane services that also offer full outfitting for a decent price. Options include the Togiak, Goodnews, Kanektok and other smaller waters.

Also look to the Mulchatna, Koktuli, upper Nushagak, or any of those northeast of Dillingham, Or, go south to the Alagnak, Moraine....all of these are great waters.

Also, 5 days won't get you too much with travel time...bump it to seven and you'll have more time to soak it all in.